Disable Drive from Attaching/Mounting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by irascible, Apr 13, 2011.

1. irascible macrumors newbie

I've installed a OptiBay HDD, and i'd like it to stay powered off at all times unless I manually attach/mount it.

Can this be done with an application, command line, or an fstab entry? if so, how. I've been searching endlessly with no luck so far.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

You should be able to use Disk Utility to unmount the drive in question, which should put it to sleep until you go into Disk Utility and re-mount it manually, or reboot. That would require re-unmounting it after every reboot, but otherwise should do pretty much what you want.

3. irascible thread starter macrumors newbie

I've found the only way to power down the drive is to eject it from Finder. Also, soon as the computer wakes from sleep, the drive is powered back on. I've written an applescript that ejects the drive, and mounts if it's already ejected.

I also found SleepWatcher to execute an applescript from wake that will eject the drive as a work-around, but i'd rather not be turning the drive off/on that often.

I'm hoping there is a way to disable it from being auto attached?

4. irascible thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still battling this.

So far, i've written scripts that turn the drive off on startup, and installed sleepwalker to turn the drive back off when resuming from sleep. But, vmware fusion spins the drive back up... and i'm certain other functions will do the same that I haven't ran into yet.

Hopefully someone chimes in on how to stop auto-mounting all together on selected drives. This task has become quite challenging, to say the least!