disable dropbox on public wifi?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by goombamd, Apr 29, 2010.

1. goombamd macrumors member

I'm at the airport where they have free public wifi. There are about 40 people's macbook hard drives online with their drop box.

How do I disable my drop box on public wifi connections? How do I make a drop box alias that doesn't have my last name on it? This seems very insecure and an invasion of privacy to me.

It didn't even ask me if I wanted a drop box... and i"m sure all these people don't know their files are exposed.

2. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

Could you automate something with MarcoPolo (http://www.symonds.id.au/marcopolo/)?

You can always just turn it off, and in DropBox's preferences there is a "Start Dropbox on system startup" option you can turn off.

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I think the OP is referring to the Drop Box located in the Public Folder. Which would be turned off through Sharing Preferences.

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I don't think he's talking about the DropBox.app you can just download. He's talking about the filesharing thing that's built into the OS.

You can turn it off in general, but not only for public WiFis - unless you use something like Marco Polo, of course.

Also, nobody can see any files in the drop box. It's write-only for anyone but you so all they can do is write files to that folder. They cannot read what is in the folder.

To turn it off, go to System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing and uncheck the checkbox or delete the public folder from the list.

5. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

Ah, yeah, of course. I turned that off so long ago I forgot about it.