Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrassyAssAmigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
London
Hi

I removed my optical drive from my 13" MBP 2010 in order to add a second HD. Unfortunately DVD Sharing was enabled before I removed the optical drive, and now I am seeing the optical drive appear as a Remote Disc on my 27" iMac 2012 every time I power up the MBP - even though the optical drive isn't physically there anymore.

Furthermore there is no longer a DVD Sharing option in my MBP's Sharing prefpane (I guess because the drive isn't there) so I can't disable DVD Sharing that way.

How can I disable DVD sharing in this situation? Is there a command line solution?

I realise I can just hide the Remote Disc from appearing on my iMac, but that doesn't resolve the underlying issue that my MBP is trying to share a drive that isn't there.

Both machines are 10.8.2.

Thanks for any advice!

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Hi

I removed my optical drive from my 13" MBP 2010 in order to add a second HD. Unfortunately DVD Sharing was enabled before I removed the optical drive, and now I am seeing the optical drive appear as a Remote Disc on my 27" iMac 2012 every time I power up the MBP - even though the optical drive isn't physically there anymore.

Furthermore there is no longer a DVD Sharing option in my MBP's Sharing prefpane (I guess because the drive isn't there) so I can't disable DVD Sharing that way.

How can I disable DVD sharing in this situation? Is there a command line solution?

I realise I can just hide the Remote Disc from appearing on my iMac, but that doesn't resolve the underlying issue that my MBP is trying to share a drive that isn't there.

Both machines are 10.8.2.

Thanks for any advice!

A simple google search found this which might help.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10427176-263.html

enter those commands and put false at the end of each command instead of true. Then reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.