Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shakko

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Hi guys,

I have a TV and monitor connected to OS X, however even though the TV is off, OS X still thinks there is a device there. I can drag windows into this "void" and I even see it when I use spaces.

Is there anyway I can just "disable" this monitor?

I was originally thinking of setting it up as mirroring, but my TV is 1080p (1920x1080) and my regular display resolution is 1920x1200 so they won't work properly as they are not the same resolution.

Thanks for all the help!

omueller

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
I have a very similar problem, and would like to know if anyone was able to figure out a solution. Please advise.

Thanks,
Onyx

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
When you connect a TV to the DVI as long as the TV is plugged in, it will detect the TV; same thing with monitors; that power switch only turns off the display part of the TV, not the connections; you can probably use this:

a7bba30e.png

... to disable the monitor; or just disconnect it.

pegasus.w

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
Did anyone figure this one out?

The solution proposed above does not solve the problem. My iMac still thinks there's an external monitor connected when my TV is turned off, hence my mouse and windows can still be dragged into the "external monitor" area.

I have a similar issue with audio. Does anyone know if there's a way to manually switch audio between internal speakers and headphone jack without unplugging the headphone?

rauz

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
There has to be a way to solve this other than having to disconnect the monitor, or in my case projector, every time you're not using it?
Works just fine in XP via Bootcamp - which annoys me.

Hates

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
London, UK
Not an ideal solution, but in the "Arrangement" tab, you could check "Mirror Displays". That way you won't be able to drag stuff across.

rauz

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
Not an ideal solution, but in the "Arrangement" tab, you could check "Mirror Displays". That way you won't be able to drag stuff across.
That's what I'm forced to do now but it messes with the desktop backgrounds and makes some applications (for instance Mailplane and Firefox 3) forget what monitor they're supposed to stay at once you "un-mirror" the displays.

SwitchResX claims to have the feature in question but when I tried it every single one of my applications crashed. Oh, and it requires the infamous APE framework :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.