Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Disable Geforce 330M on MacBook Pro Mid 2010 under Windows 7?

MY5TCrimson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2016
Uranus :>
Okay, this one is wrecking my brain for a while now.

So, I've a 2010 MacBook Pro A1286 - with the dreaded GeForce 330M and Intel HD Graphics (eg; kernel panics everywhere when the machine tries to do anything remotely GPU intensive.)

Problem is: macOS High Sierra runs great without panics, thanks to the tool 'MBPMid2010-GPU-Fix', which modifies the kext responsible for the faulty voltage control that makes the kernel panics happen in the first place.

But, I wish to run Windows 7 also, which seems to only detect the NVIDIA GPU and results in crashes/BSODs on that OS as a result.

Is there a way to disable the NVIDIA GPU under Windows and use only the Intel GPU?

Thanks in advance for any help!

CheeseBread365

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Also, i5 2.53GHz CPU. :)
I dont know of any way to do that, However as someone who used a mid 2010 15 inch macbook pro with that exact issue for years and dealing with its problems, I can tell you it is very much worth it to just replace the failed capacitor. Replaced mine a few years ago and still daily drive the machine to this day with no problems. As for wanting to run Windows 7 on it in its current state, I dont know. I'm sure there is some way to disable the nvidia GPU in command propt in safe mode maybe?

Comment

MY5TCrimson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2016
Uranus :>
I dont know of any way to do that, However as someone who used a mid 2010 15 inch macbook pro with that exact issue for years and dealing with its problems, I can tell you it is very much worth it to just replace the failed capacitor. Replaced mine a few years ago and still daily drive the machine to this day with no problems. As for wanting to run Windows 7 on it in its current state, I dont know. I'm sure there is some way to disable the nvidia GPU in command propt in safe mode maybe?

I'd certainly like to replace the capacitor, but I'm not confident enough in my soldering skills just yet sadly. And unfortunately, in Ireland, I'm not sure of who I could reach out to that has the skill for it.

Since it was possible to mitigate the issue with a modified kext in MacOS, it'd be great if a similar fix for Windows was available. As my performance in Parallels has decreased since updating to High Sierra and after exhausting all my efforts to fix performance there, I think VMs are out of the question unfortunately.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.