Disable HDD Sleep - iMAC Life

Discussion in 'iMac' started by funtoosh, Jul 13, 2016.

1. funtoosh macrumors newbie

Hi
    I'm using my new iMAC to even monitor some of my servers and keeping SSH Sessions always on so that i don't need to keep reconnecting them when i need to work on them, so i've Disabled HDD Sleep and also enabled "Prevent Computer from sleeping" though i've enabled settings for display turns off after 15 minutes. My iMAC is ON 24x7

I'm just wondering if I keep these settings can it affect iMAC life ? I've used iMac 20" i think 2009/10 version for 4 years in the past and it was also with same settings and never had issues, but just wondering if it affects iMAC Life in general ?

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

In theory I suppose one could argue fans and disks spinning are mechanical parts, so running 24/7 would result in earlier demise, but as a practical matter I have never had any issues. I have always kept my MacBooks and various iMacs over the years on 24/7 to serve up iTunes content and never once had anything wear out and top working.

3. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

Disabling HDD sleep doesn't make much sense. If they're not in use, they should be allowed to sleep. If they're needed, they'll be spun up.

An SSH session doesn't require your HDD to be spinning.

4. funtoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Stonefly macrumors regular

Stonefly

I have a late 2009 27" iMac and have had sleep disabled since day 1. Still going strong.