Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
Anyone know a way to actually disable file icons from displaying image previews and to only show generic File Type icons instead? Getting extremely sick of having to wait for them to repopulate every time a damn Open or Save dialog box is opened.

I've set all UI Finder prefs and Finder is good about following it but in Finder only. I edited every entry in com.apple.finder.plist of <key>showIconPreview</key> to false but it doesn't matter. I really don't know where to go from here to get it to stop.

UPDATE: I just switched the view mode in the Save As dialog to Icon View and List View and they do not show icon previews, in other words they're displaying correctly but Column View is not and that's what I use.

Example, in Finder, looks like I want:

finder.png

and in Photoshop or any other app, will not stop generating icon image previews.

photoshop.png

Last edited:

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
As far as I can tell, disabling the previews in open/save dialogs isn't possible. If what I found is correct, it has been this way since Mac OS X Lion.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
My Mac (Sierra betas) doesn't show icon previews by default in any view (other than icon view, of course) when in Open/Save dialog boxes. That being said, I have Default Folder X installed, so maybe that's why.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Desktop
2 finger click on desktop.
Show View Options
unclick Show Item Preview

Finder
Show View Options
unclick Show Item Preview

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
As far as I can tell, disabling the previews in open/save dialogs isn't possible. If what I found is correct, it has been this way since Mac OS X Lion.

My Mac (Sierra betas) doesn't show icon previews by default in any view (other than icon view, of course) when in Open/Save dialog boxes. That being said, I have Default Folder X installed, so maybe that's why.

Lunder and MacGizmo,

Thanks, just though someone out there may know some obscure way of accomplishing this. Maybe someone will come by today... I posted this Friday night, probably the worst time possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.