Disable icon previews globally?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by 1024724, Apr 28, 2017.

1. 1024724, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017

1024724 macrumors member

Anyone know a way to actually disable file icons from displaying image previews and to only show generic File Type icons instead? Getting extremely sick of having to wait for them to repopulate every time a damn Open or Save dialog box is opened.

I've set all UI Finder prefs and Finder is good about following it but in Finder only. I edited every entry in com.apple.finder.plist of <key>showIconPreview</key> to false but it doesn't matter. I really don't know where to go from here to get it to stop.

UPDATE: I just switched the view mode in the Save As dialog to Icon View and List View and they do not show icon previews, in other words they're displaying correctly but Column View is not and that's what I use.

Example, in Finder, looks like I want:

finder.png

and in Photoshop or any other app, will not stop generating icon image previews.

photoshop.png

2. Lunder89 macrumors 6502

Lunder89

As far as I can tell, disabling the previews in open/save dialogs isn't possible. If what I found is correct, it has been this way since Mac OS X Lion.

3. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

My Mac (Sierra betas) doesn't show icon previews by default in any view (other than icon view, of course) when in Open/Save dialog boxes. That being said, I have Default Folder X installed, so maybe that's why.

4. niji Contributor

niji

Desktop
    2 finger click on desktop.
    Show View Options
    unclick Show Item Preview

Finder
    Show View Options
    unclick Show Item Preview

5. 1024724 thread starter macrumors member

Lunder and MacGizmo,

Thanks, just though someone out there may know some obscure way of accomplishing this. Maybe someone will come by today... I posted this Friday night, probably the worst time possible.