Disable Internet connection

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hrv888, Oct 25, 2009.

1. hrv888 macrumors regular

Is there anyway that you could turn off Internet connection when there is no wifi? I have 3g disabled since I don't have a data plan. But sometimes I click maps and then there it searches it's own Internet connection which I quickly close the app then I get charged by fido for $24 on data usage. How can I prevent that from happening?

2. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

3. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

4. wowipod macrumors regular

Turn data roaming off and then it won't work.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

There is if you're jailbroken, but I'm afraid I know of no way to do it unjailbroken. Sorry.

6. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I wrote/suggested that. Just ignore it. I should know better than to post something before the morning caffeine kicks in.

Mike

7. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Just thought of another idea. Just move the maps icon (and any others with similar results) to a back page. Then just keep it in mind that all icons on that page zap you with the extra charge.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Wrong.

Actually, the right answer, which you later took back. Just because you are in airplane mode does not mean you can't turn on wifi after.

So, turn on airplane mode and turn on wifi.

9. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I think the OP wants to use the phone, but have no data

Try going to this site below and adjusting your APN settings to turn off data but keep the phone's ability to answer calls; the phone does not need to be JBed, supposedly. I haven't tried it, I only know that it can somehow be done by going to this site with your phone. Let me know if it works for you.

http://www.unlockit.co.nz

10. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I think though, he still might want to be able to make calls.

i.e he has a iPhone as a hpone but doesn't want any data usage over a wireless carrier.

So airplane mode wont work 'case it turns off the phone.

Bottom line is the iPhone isn't really for these people. (Sure each time he wants to use an app, he can go to sys prefs and go into airplane mode to maike sure it dons't use any wireless data, (for adds, checking or updates, etc, etc) but really rhat makes the whole concept a little silly.

11. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Leo Da Vinci has it right I think (as you'd expect with that name...)

The way to do it is to fake the Cellular Data APN such that the phone does not succeed when it tries to log in to a data service. The unlockit site does this, or, depending on your carrier file I believe, you can do it yourself through Settings - General - Network - Cellular Data. Just set the apn, username and password to something random and there you are, no data service available

12. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Good point, this should work. You can always rest it.

Interesting though the user name and password on my phone dosn't have any data in the fields.

Does this mean that the network just uses my IMEI or SIM to know who to charge?

13. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes, the APN logon's are never personal, they're just generic ones, your phone identifies itself to the network with both its IMEI and its SIM.