Disable iOS multitasking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by clumsythief83, Jun 24, 2012.

1. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I wonder if there is a way to disable iOS multitasking. Since my iPhone is jailbroken, I would like to choose which app I want to be running in the background and which app to not to, and Backgrounder is doing it well. That's why I don't want any other apps to be running in the background, so my phone can always be fast. Any idea? Thanks

2. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Springtomize can disable the native multitasking under the capabilities section. But be careful because if you enable that section, I think everything listed there gets turned off by default so you need to make sure that you turn on all the other features.

3. clumsythief83 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't work well, because it also disable Backgrounder.

4. seanwebb68, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

change multitasking to false in the plist file below

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/N92AP.plist

Looking like this only works before ios5

5. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

Does this really work? Apple's ios multitasking isn't even real multitasking except with the ipod app. All it does it use up valuable ram and it's annoying having to delete all the apps from the app switcher thing.

Will I still be able to use backgrounder? I'd like it to be like how it was on my old 2g iphone. No bs apple multitasking with good ol' backgrounder.

6. The LPT macrumors regular

Use "remove background" and assign it to the home button single press (when in application) in activator.

Edit. Using the plist edit mentioned above will mess up the springboard in IOS5+. I've already tried that.

7. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

Dude, what are you talking about?? There is no "remove background" option in activator.

Can you explain further please?

8. The LPT macrumors regular

download it from cydia, and it adds that option to activator.

9. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

I figured it out. Its the same thing as "killbackground" which i like better. There's also "remove recents" in cydia but it does't work with all apps, making it pointless. And you can't configure any exceptions. So im back at square 1 now...

10. The LPT macrumors regular

it's not quite the same thing. the point of it is to use it with the "home button single press "activator gesture so it closes all the apps when you close your current app.

kill background is made for killing apps when you open the multitasking bar.

11. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

Yah I tried that and it didnt work. It just closed the app but it stayed in the switcher. Am I missing something?

12. The LPT macrumors regular

Unfortunately, it doesn't kill the current app you are in. But it will kill it if you run and close another app. So the most number of apps you will be running at any given time is 2. I prefer it this way, because certain apps if you kill abruptly, it doesn't save settings or state. If you let that app background, the settings get saved.

there is another activator tweak called AppQuit. It will do exactly what you ask. Close the app, not just minimize it. But as I've said before sometimes settings in the app don't get saved when you exit.

13. Kayan macrumors 6502

Try some quick searching on this forum for this subject because I remember when iOS4 first came out with Multitasking, there was a significant number of people that didn't like the way Apple did it so they had tons of threads talking about different options of multitasking a way they thought was "better". Most people I know eventually came around to the way Apple implemented it as being simpler and, for general use, better.

14. applemagic123, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

Ugh!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: Appquit would be perfect except it gives an UBER ANNOYING popup when you close the app, and if you background the app via backgrounder, hit the home button, it closes that app, unless you set the app as global to force background in backgrounder. Appquit is completely pointless if you want to background apps that do not have global background settings.

And even when you quit the app, it still stays in the task switcher. God this is really pissing me off. Stupid apple.

Update: This is quite strange...although remove recents didn't work the FIRST time I installed it, and so I removed it. Just now I installed it again and it's working for all apps.

Now how can I get rid of the annoying popup from appquit...I have iFile, I just need to delete the popup file.

And how can I background apps that don't have global settings via backgrounder without appquit quitting those apps. I have a social networking app that I sometimes background so that I don't have to log in every time I open it, I'd like to put it in background without appquit quitting it while it's backgrounded. I have pandora to force background and appquit does not quit that app when I hit the home button, thanks.

15. applemagic123, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012