Disable iPhoto auto import?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arogge, Oct 15, 2011.

1. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I have another dumb question. For some reason, Apple decided that iPhoto should try to import every file on external media that it thinks is image data when iPhoto is running. Unfortunately, the external device that I have connected is not a plug-in camera, and iPhoto shouldn't be doing anything with it. Because it is trying to suck up the data, it crashes. I've tried to tell it to not run any applications when a camera is connected, and I've looked for and didn't find a Preferences window in Image Capture as suggested elsewhere, but iPhoto keeps trying to access my external drive and obviously can't handle the large amount of data enough to see that it's not a plug-in camera. I also can't disconnect the device because I need it now, and I'd also like to get into my iPhoto library. How do I tell iPhoto to stop probing my USB ports for external devices?

2. stxnpx macrumors newbie

Preferences in Image Capture

In the bottom left of the Image Capture window (not the status bar), there's a small dialog box that says, "Connecting this [device] opens ...

Click on the toggle switch to select "No application."

That's also where you can select whether or not you want Image Capture to delete your photos after import.

3. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

Thanks, but no luck. The only thing I have in the bottom left is a drop up menu pane that's empty. Maybe I need to plug in the card reader before opening Image Capture.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

in iPhoto preferences under "general" there is a drop down for "connecting camera opens" one of which is "no application". Try that.

5. arogge thread starter macrumors 65816

arogge

I did that, and it has always said "no application" after I first changed it, but iPhoto continues to import automatically. I don't even see where Image Capture is loading, which is one of the options in iPhoto to load Image Capture. It's like this involuntary Face Finder thing. It just won't shut off!

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666