Disable Journaling For Media Drives ? !

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dino1956, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Dino1956 macrumors member

Does anyone have Journaling Disabled on their external Media Drives ?
    I hear it helps with encoding of Video & such when editing. Just wanted some opinions & views from you guys. Thanks!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: Disable Journaling For Media Drives ? !

RE:
    "Does anyone have Journaling Disabled on their external Media Drives ?
    I hear it helps with encoding of Video & such when editing. Just wanted some opinions & views from you guys. Thanks!"

Yes, that's a good idea.

It's also a good idea to disable Spotlight for those drives, as well. When recording media, you want nothing except "the data stream" going on with them. No journaling, no indexing, nothing that could interfere with the data flow.

I used "Spotless" (freeware) to turn off Spotlight EVERYwhere - I have no use for it.

Actually, I have reformatted ALL my drives to disable journaling, as well.

I prefer my drives "the old-fashioned way". But that's just me.

- John

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

If you have Xcode, there is a little command-line program that will let you turn off journaling without reformat. Since it is technically not a supported action, use caution. I used it in an attempt to fix a corrupted filesystem, after I backed up. I still ended up having to format, but the tool did what it says.
    http://dmunsie.wordpress.com/code/hacks/

4. Dino1956 thread starter macrumors member

Actually with Leopard, you just have to hold down the Option Key in Disk Utility & you can disable it instantly, which is what I just did. So Journaling could interfere with Video Rendering/Encoding/Multiplexing/burning in iMovie '09 ? I've been having problems with iMovie. I WAS creating a Project in iMovie & clicking on Share to iDVD in Menu Bar, but I have since changed my Method, since that does not create a good DVD using that procedure. Now I export the Project from iMovie to a Large File to my Media Drive & then open iDVD, drag the Large Movie File into iDVD & create my DVD that way. It seems to work with a higher success rate. :) I also Burn at 4X Speed just to be safe. Any tips appreciated. Thanks!

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

You can disable journaling? I just tried, I don't see it. Please give full instructions. Does it only work on external drives?

6. Dino1956 thread starter macrumors member

Open Disk Utility
    Highlight (Select) Hard Drive (in Left Column)
    Hold Down Option Key
    Click On File in Menu Bar (top Left of Screen)
    Select Disable or Enable (depending on how you have it set currently)

* And Yes, you can do this on your Main Hard Drive, although I would not recommend!