Disable laptop monitor

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lynxinator, Dec 14, 2010.

1. lynxinator macrumors newbie

I am running bootcamp with xp on my older non unibody macbook pro. I have it hooked up with a dell monitor, but I want to see things only on the dell monitor and not the macbook one. This works fine booted into OSX, but I can't find a way to do it in windows. Is there a way to disable my laptop monitor?

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

As far as I know, windows does not have this feature native to the OS. You can mirror both screens and then shut off the laptop screen by putting the laptop brightness to the lowest positions, which is off. However, doing it this way probably gives you very poor resolution and image quality on the monitor.

You might want to try presentation mode in mobility center, or see if there's any add on software to achieve this.

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, this can be accomplished by using the Nvidia Control Panel application. I'm not sure how exactly to achieve the same with an ATi card, but I'm sure it is likewise possible.

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Press the Windows Key + P.

This Menu will pop up.
    [​IMG]

If you're going to close your laptop lid, change what closing the lid does in the power settings, otherwise it might sleep or something.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

On Windows 7, not XP. ;)

B