Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
So I have my work email on my phone so I have to have a password setup.

I noticed something for the first time the other day. I wanted to start a workout on the watch it was attached to my Scosche Rythm plus HRM so I started the workout took the Watch off and then did the workout. Came back to watch only to have it locked and the workout paused.

Is there Anyway to disable the password on the Watch? Maybe if I turn off notifications for my work email??

With my other fitness devices I can take them off and still wear the HRM and track the workout.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

I do have a Twelve South action sleeve but sometimes it's a quick workout

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
The watch locks when you take it off. it's designed that way.

Kinda sucks if you want to track a workout and take it off. I get that it locks automatically. But the workout shouldn't pause itself. Lame
[doublepost=1490149604][/doublepost]Ok figured it out

If you lock the Watch after you start the workout it will keep the workout running.

If you start a workout then remove the Watch it will lock and pause the workout

Learn something new everyday!

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
If you use Apple Pay, you can't have a watch without security enabled. How are you locking the watch without taking it off? The last update removed the lock icon.

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
If you use Apple Pay, you can't have a watch without security enabled. How are you locking the watch without taking it off? The last update removed the lock icon.

Yes I am basically starting the workout, then you can lock the workout, which keeps the workout going. Then I can take the watch off do my workout and go back to the watch and then unlock it and its good to go.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yes I am basically starting the workout, then you can lock the workout, which keeps the workout going. Then I can take the watch off do my workout and go back to the watch and then unlock it and its good to go.
I mean, that's cool and all but I'm confused as to why you would want to take the watch off during a workout in the first place?

Reactions: ZebraDude

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
I mean, that's cool and all but I'm confused as to why you would want to take the watch off during a workout in the first place?

I use a Scosche Rythm+ to track the heart rate so I dont use the optical on the watch. With Crossfit sometimes you are doing kettlebell snatches or overhead squats that tax the wrist. So you dont want the watch on getting smashed by a kettlebell etc.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I use a Scosche Rythm+ to track the heart rate so I dont use the optical on the watch. With Crossfit sometimes you are doing kettlebell snatches or overhead squats that tax the wrist. So you dont want the watch on getting smashed by a kettlebell etc.
Gotcha, so do you keep the watch in your pocket or somewhere near by? I ask just given that you're using a bluetooth connection for the tracker (I assume, I've never had much interest in chest straps)?

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
Yeah just set it on the counter in the gym or whatever. I am never that far from it so it doesnt lose connection. If I run I wear it and other activities.

I hate chest straps that is why I bought this Scosche it goes around the forearm

I also have a Twelve South Action sleeve that actually takes the watch only and slides into a slot and then the it wraps around the bicep and works awesome for weightlifting etc.

dschulian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
The only thing I see there is the water lock, not the same thing. You can water lock (S2 only BTW) from the dashboard or whatever it's called too. Do the S0/S1 have an actual lock?

Strange. I'm a S0 owner and when I start a workout and swipe right I can see a lock. This is replaced by a water drop on S1/S2?

Attachments

• IMG_0238.PNG
    IMG_0238.PNG
    17.9 KB · Views: 49

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Strange. I'm a S0 owner and when I start a workout and swipe right I can see a lock. This is replaced by a water drop on S1/S2?

Yes, on the S2 only. The water drop is used to "lock" the watch if you go for a swim or other water type activity. The issue is it unlocks when you twist the crown. The S2 used to have a lock icon as well until the latest update when it was removed for some reason.

worker73

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Cmbauer.....I looked up that TwelveAction Armband and it's pretty darn nice!!!

Do you find you get credit for exercise and things when weightlifting?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Clarification: There are 2 distinct types of locks and several people are confusing the 2. The OP is talking about Lock #1.

1. :apple:Watch Passcode Lock: :apple:Watch removed from wrist and requires a passcode to activate
  2. Screen/Water lock: S0/S1 locks screen from input, S2 also blocks speaker port
By coincidence on my last run (8 mile) I looked down and my :apple:Watch had (Passcode) locked. This was on mile 6 or so and not sure how long it had been locked. I use a Garmin 620 as my primary running recorder and don't check my :apple:Watch much. Entered passcode and run (Workout) was still running (Pause I think). Finished run and was surprised to see my :apple:Watch had the same relative milage as my Garmin (expected the run to be 'short' since it was locked). Also my the map was exactly correct and had a complete solid line (no dots) like it was on the whole time.

Granted I don't know how long/far my :apple:Watch had been locked before I cheeked. However I probably hadn't looked at it in several miles.

Last edited:

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
The watch locks when you take it off. it's designed that way.

But, as someone posted, you can turn off passcode lock on the watch. You will lose the Apple Pay when you do and have to re-enable passcode when you want to add Apple Pay back. But I do this for app development, as having the watch locked but on a charging puck is a real pain for trying to debug Watch apps.

Last edited:

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
Can't speak for the OP but in the first sentence the OP indicates they MUST have it Passcode locked for work email and leaving unlocked is NOT an option.

You seem to be mixing up the iPhone and the watch with your use of 'it' and 'locked'...

I've edited my post to make it clearer I meant on the watch, as I can see that would be confusing if you didn't read the post all the way through.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You seem to be mixing up the iPhone and the watch with your use of 'it' and 'locked'...

I've edited my post to make it clearer I meant on the watch, as I can see that would be confusing if you didn't read the post all the way through.
No, again I can't speak for the OP. However if they are required to keep their iPhone locked for work email security reasons then that rule would also extend to the :apple:Watch. Granted they could remove the work email account(s) from their :apple:Watch, but maybe they feel it necessary or worth it for convenience to have on their :apple:Watch. Again the OP would have to address this but seems a plausible reason the OP would be required to have their :apple:Watch locked.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.