Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

judino28

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I used to be able to choose to either disable LTE voice & data or voice only. This option seems to be missing in iOS 13. I prefer only using LTE data. Yes, I realize the quality of LTE voice is better, and I can adjust, but would like the option to toggle besides just totally having LTE on or off.

I’m on an iPhone 6s with AT&T. Any info is greatly appreciated!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Generally, carrier settings control this. Might have got a carrier setting update when updated that removed the setting(s).

Also on ATT, and to be honest, seem to recall that that option has been gone for a while now.

judino28

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks for the replies! I know that I just had this setting a few weeks ago as I had to toggle LTE off completely for a period of time and remember having the option for Voice & Data or Data only. Now, when I go to settings I'm simply presented with settings>cellular>cellular data options>Enable LTE (a simple on/off toggle). The only other options on that screen are Data Roaming (on/off) and Low Data More (on/off).

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
Thanks for the replies! I know that I just had this setting a few weeks ago as I had to toggle LTE off completely for a period of time and remember having the option for Voice & Data or Data only. Now, when I go to settings I'm simply presented with settings>cellular>cellular data options>Enable LTE (a simple on/off toggle). The only other options on that screen are Data Roaming (on/off) and Low Data More (on/off).
Seeing the same thing here on AT&T. Always had the option before.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I’m still on 12.4.1 on my 7. Still have the option.

Attachments

• 0A93588B-EDCC-46D0-BF21-E8F9D34C8123.png
    0A93588B-EDCC-46D0-BF21-E8F9D34C8123.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 158

MrRedfield

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2019
I am actually having the same problem. However. when the voice goes over LTE, the other person can't hear me very well at all. So I had to leave it in "data only".
Sadly this new update has taken it away.

Has anyone figured out the solution?

iPhone 7 (AT&T)

njcyx6649250

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
I have exact same problem. Maybe att will "correct" this mistake sooner or later, but I still try to find an easy way to quickly turn on/off LTE. Now I have to open settings, go to cellular, go to that att line, then turn off LTE. It is very inconvenient. I tried to find/create a shortcut for this purpose, but there is no such option...

njcyx6649250

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Someone in att forum posted a "solution". You can try to see if it works

Settings> Cellular> Cellular Data Options> Enable LTE - ON
Settings> Cellular> Cellular Data Options - scroll down to the Phone App and Disable Cellular Data for Phone

I tried it, and it seems I can still make call. But the symbol on the right top corner still shows "5GE".

Maybe it will disable visual voicemail function...

MrRedfield

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2019
Sadly, Disabling the Phone app to use Cellular Data didn't work for me.
If At&t doesn't fix this then the wife and I are going to have to switch back to Verizon. Sucks because my bill is $50 less with At&t.

Wonder if it is possible to modify the carrier file without jailbreaking. (I personally don't jailbreak).

njcyx6649250

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Ok, I found a solution.

I contacted Att technical support, and asked them to place a block for hd calls for my line. Then no more volte!!

I contacted att by online chat. Someone in att forum called them instead. Both worked.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I never saw a difference in sound quality with VoLTE over 3G calls...The only difference I saw was a quicker connection when calling a physical line.

Pande

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
Australia
I never saw a difference in sound quality with VoLTE over 3G calls...The only difference I saw was a quicker connection when calling a physical line.
it just means that you cant be using 4G internet whilst on an active phone call e.g browsing the internet whilst on an active call.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
it just means that you cant be using 4G internet whilst on an active phone call e.g browsing the internet whilst on an active call.
Yeah, its the only advantage I see with this feature but for the rare moments I'm on the phone, I rarely browse the web at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.