Disable Multi-Tasking without Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jonze, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Jonze macrumors member

Jonze

Hi,

Does anyone know how to cancel Multi-Tasking without having to Jailbreak my iPhone?

I hate Multi-Tasking as my battery dies very quickly with it on.

2. Jonze thread starter macrumors member

Jonze

:( Thanks for your reply.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

What apps are you running that kill your battery? There are actually very few apps that really multitask - navigation and music being two types of apps that typically multitask.
    For the majority of apps, "Multitasking" is a bit of a misnomer - the apps are suspended when in the background so there is no way they can affect your battery life

4. aldo82 macrumors regular

Exactrly. Unless you are running a music app, navigation or possibly voip (such as skype) it isn't multitasking thats klilling your battery

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iOS really doesn't do multitasking like computers and the other mobile operating systems. They provide a handful of APIs to allow some background processing. Most apps don't need or take advantage of those APIs, so what happens is their state is saved so when you swap back it picks up where you last left it.

So with all that said, and aside from any sort of critisicm that this not multitasking. This implementation means that you're not incurring any sort of penalty in terms of battery life. So even if you could disable it, you'd not see any difference in your battery's performance. It would last as long (or short) as it does now.

6. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Close the apps yourself, and try not to open too many. But there isn't a switch that lets you turn it off. If your battery dies that quickly from something the phone is suppose to be able to do, then maybe you should take it to the Apple store and get the battery replaced

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Close all your background apps every night or so and it shouldn't use up much battery. If you are running apps such as Skype in the background there may be a lose in battery life.

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'd also be curious to know which apps you're running. Most people enjoy really good battery life with the iPhone 4. Your problem could be a single rogue app, but I'd say it's more likely that your battery isn't calibrated properly.