disable "multitasking" iOS 4.0

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tex-Twil, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I have a 3GS with iOS 4.0 and I must say that the "multitasking" feature is a bit annoying. The problem is that I don't know which apps are actually doing something in the background and which are not.

For example I use a GPS app for my bike called cyctastic and even when I quit it I see it is all the time getting my GPS position (even if I don't have any running workouts).

The same is with skype. Many times I just got a unexpected call on skype because I forgot that it is running in background. I was "online" all the time an I thought I was offline.

I know that I can "force to quit" and app by double clicking the home button but this is time consuming and I don't all the time think about doing that. Isn't there a way to by default quit the app when quitting them and put them in the so called background only if I explicitly say it ?

thanks,
    Tex

2. xkylar macrumors newbie

With a jailbroken iPhone you can download Remove Recents and Backgrounder from Cydia. Invoke Backgrounder whenever you want to "multitask" an app otherwise Remove Recents just closes the app automatically for you.

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I've installed Remove Recents but I'm not sure how to use it. I started then quit an app but I still can see it in the app list when I double click the home button.

4. b00ya macrumors member

I use backgrounder if I want certain acts to act a specific way, and I use "SwitcherMod". It's kinda like remove recents but more features and I especially like it because the icons in the multitask bar will always have close buttons on them without having to hold your finger on them for 3 seconds every time, that was the most annoying for me.