disable one port of firewall for hosting

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by adrusi, Apr 16, 2009.

1. adrusi macrumors newbie

I want to host a small low traffic site on my own computer mainly for the experience, for security reasons I only want to disable the firewall port 8888, but I can;t even figure out how to disable any part, could I please have some help.:confused:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Generally you'll setup port forwarding on your router to send the HTTP request to your computer. That way the router handles the firewall part. Also if you turn on Web Sharing in system preferences it'll activate your port. Also, in system preferences if you go to Security there's a Firewall tab you can adjust to allow incoming traffic.

3. adrusi thread starter macrumors newbie

still not working

I've had the firewall set to allow all incoming traffic, web sharing is on, but how do I do the first part? is there any way I can disable the port in terminal?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Do you mean enable? Turning on web sharing should enable the port. If you want to disable then you'll stop web sharing. The only way Terminal can help is by using the firewall interface, but that's a mess to deal with.

If your question relates to port forwarding on the router, then that will depend on your router. It's documentation will tell you how to do it.

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

remember that if you're accessing it you will have to add a :8888 to the url.

for example: http://123.456.789.10:8888/blah.html

Otherwise you will want to forward incoming traffic on port 80 on your router to port 8888 on the server you're using.

Your setup isn't clear to me, are you trying to access it from outside your network?

6. adrusi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using a MAMP server and I want to set up a low traffic website on the internet, not just my local network. I just changed my MAMP port to 80 and turned off the default web sharing, everything works fine on my local network, I can go to http://MAMP_computers_ip/ but I can't get anyone outside my local network to access it, do I need to turn off the firewall or something like that?

7. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

you need to forward incoming traffic on port 80 on your router to the IP address of your server through port 8888.

We need to know what kind of router you have to help you.

alternatively you could just google "port forwarding on [insert type of router here]"

8. adrusi thread starter macrumors newbie

m1424-wr

it's the one verizon gives you with fiOs

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you're using a software firewall on a Mac OS X Client and you're using a non-standard port for HTTP, use WaterRoof to help you manipulate ipfw (the firewall). Assuming you get the router situation worked out.