Disable optimizing of synced images?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cookiefox, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Cookiefox macrumors newbie

Before you start bashing me for posting this for the 117th time, please note that although having thoroughly googled there doesn't appear to be any fix or useable workaround for this.

When images are synced to the iPhone it is optimized to a 700kB proprietary format in 16 bit colours and 640x480. If you're syncing your 12 MPixel holiday photos, this is (probably) just fine, but say you want to sync your favorite artwork or strips of your favorite online webcomics this goes completely haywire: Most reasonably sized images are around 100-200KB Jpeg's sized around 1000 pixels or so. When syncing these you get larger files and significantly worse image quality. In the case of comics it becomes completely impossible to read text. In addition to this the infamous 'Ipod image cache' folder bloats up your machine with useless unreadable thumbnail files, which in the case of the above are way bigger than the original files. I personally have about 200MB of artwork, but on the iPhone it takes up 950MB!

Has anyone found any solution to disable this completely useless "optimizing" that iTunes does during sync?

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I feel your pain. I have 239 photos on my iPhone, taking up 231mb of space on my PC. On the device, they take up a whopping 594mb! Unfortunately, this is the price we pay for the glorious Multi Touch plus the instant loading of both the app and the pics themselves. Otherwise, it'll be a laggy process of loading the thumbnails plus the lag whilst each pic is loaded and then swiped.
    If I want laggy photos, I would get an HTC Touch Diamond. :D

If you're prepared to sacrifice some Multi Touch goodness, for image quality, then I can reccomend the currently free, file holding app called 'Air Sharing'.

3. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Good point. Air Sharing should suit your needs for readable comics!