Disable "Recent Contacts" from Multitasking Interface

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by OSXMavericks, Sep 12, 2014.

1. OSXMavericks macrumors member

OSXMavericks

I have not upgraded to iOS8 GM yet.

Is there an option to disable the recent contacts/favorites bar from the multitasking interface?

[​IMG]

2. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Yes you can choose to show just favorites, just recent contacts, both, or none at all

3. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

Out of curiosity, how do you choose to have recents, favorites or none?

And why would you want to not have them show up in the multitasking screen? I sort of figured if you don't want to use them, then don't use them.

4. fivedots macrumors 6502a

I feel like the fatal flaw in this feature is that it's not really a shortcut.

Minimum 4 taps - Using Multitasking Interface
    • 2x tap of home button
    • 1x tap of contact
    • 1x tap of communication method

Minimum 3 taps - Using Standard Method
    • 1x tap of home button
    • 1x tap of Messages or Phone app
    • 1x tap of conversation or recent call

I would see more value if the method of communication was fixed, e.g. it was for Messages and tapping an avatar popped open a quick reply window to send a new message to that contact without leaving the current app.

The allusion of convenience fades away right when the contact methods slide out from the tapped avatar.

5. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

You don't take into account the additional taps required to contact your friend in a different manner, nor the scrolling required if they're not on the first messaging screen.
    I have a question though, if you recent contact was called recently, do they show twice, or only in the favourite section?

6. fivedots, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

fivedots macrumors 6502a

It's not perfect, but if they aren't on the first messaging screen then they likely won't be on the first 'recent' screen either. But that's why I've listed them as minimums.

Why not tap to message, tap and hold to call? Or something similar.

To your question: They show twice, but you need to scroll right to see Faves.

7. soulsteelgray macrumors regular

There are toggles in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Show In App Switcher (under Contacts section) for Phone Favorites and Recents. If you toggle both off, then nothing shows up in the app switcher.

Assuming you mean if you contact a favorite contact, they show up twice in both Favorite and Recent.

8. OSXMavericks, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

OSXMavericks thread starter macrumors member

OSXMavericks

Thanks. It's great that they give us the option and not force it on us.

The only thing I need the "Multitasking Interface" for is switching and closing apps. Contacts/recents are easily accessible in other ways. I don't think iOS needs this added to it.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Wow. Thanks. Didn't know this.

I like this feature but I only want one of those turned on. Having everyone repeat twice was a bit much.

10. fivedots macrumors 6502a

In my eyes, this feature should help me communicate with those I contact frequently using the channel I most frequently use to do so:

For example, I usually:

• Text my girlfriend
    • Call my mother
    • Email my brother

If I could specify a favorite communication channels along with each favorite contact, then this would be more useful for me.

11. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I think it's ugly and pointless, so I turned it off

12. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I think it's stupid having it there, would've make so much more sense as a notification centre phone widget.

13. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Thanks. I currently use an app called "Keytact". Worth checking as an alternative