Disable Resume (I mean REALLY disable it) (not a solution, i ask a question)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by /V\acpower, Jun 9, 2012.

1. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

Ok, here is my problem.

I love most of OS X Lion new "interface features", but as many peoples, I really don't like "resume", in fact, I really don't understand why someone ever considered it a "desirable feature", especially "by default". Really, when I close an app, that partly because I want to "clean" and start fresh again, when I reboot the computer, same thing. Having everything auto-resume is really, really just making desktop management more complicated and repetitive. Resume is perfect in iOS because everything is fullscreen, so you need it to keep state. On a desktop OS like OS X, really if I want to keep the tabs open i'll just minimize the window...

ok, now that my rant is done.

I have a "technical" question for you all.

I know that you can turn off "app-quitting resume" in the System Preference in the General Tab.

I know that since one of the update, you can keep the "reopen app on startup" box uncheck.

Both are disabled.

However, when I shutdown OS X, and an App, lets say Safari is open with dozens of tab, when i'll open safari again on a fresh startup, it will reopen every tab.

It doesn't does that on regulat "cmd+q", really just after the app have been automatically shut down by OS X, while it is ... shutting down.

So my question : HOW DO I STOP THIS BEHAVIOR ??!!!! (I'm just really pissed everytime it happen to me and it just did.)

Thank you all for your future help.

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

yeah I want to know too. I just updated my Mac to Lion and I hate it. Resume is the worse for me. I work on my computer a lot. Every app that I open, it will "Resume" where I left off. WTH I'm not reading a book. I'm working. So basically its like two steps back. I have to close all the windows I worked on the previous day before I can start on anything new. Frustrating. Viewing fotos or working on the web... ugh!

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

/V\acpower,

Really???

Uncheck the "Reopen windows when logging back in" option when your reboot. If you are running Mac OS 10.7.4 it will remember the setting....

S-

----------

mofunk,

You need to learn how to use Google or some other search engine.

Preferences --> General --> then uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps"

S-

4. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

This does not affect the behaviour we are discussing. Safari in particular seems to ignore this setting if it is closed as part of a reboot or software update. I have had app restore and shutdown restore disabled since day one and Safari still restores tabs on occasion.