Disable sharing on Mac Book pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alstemp, Oct 12, 2012.

1. alstemp macrumors newbie

Hi - I have just noticed in my "finder" that under "shared" it says the name of a computer but it's not mine.

I have only had my Mac Book PRo for 2 weeks now. I am guessing the following has happened. I let my neighbour upstairs use my WiFi, for a year or so now. She also has a Macbook. And as she shares my WiFi, her Mac computer is automatically being picked up by mine.

So I presume she can also see my computer if she were to check her "shared" on Finder.

I want to be able to set up my Mac Book so my neighbour can't see my computer on her "shared" in Finder and so that I can't see hers. Please tell me how I do this and set up my Mac Book so my computer is not shared. I have no desire to go looking at her stuff either.

Can she see any of my files or documents or music or basically anything that's on my Mac Book? Can she see my computer "live", eg if I was online on Ebay she would be able to see I was on Ebay?

I am new to Mac from MS Windows so not sure how all this works.

When I click on "system preferences", "internet" and "sharing", nothing is ticked, all the boxes are empty.

Basically I am really worried that my computer is open for my neighbour to see anything and everything and just want to disable sharing . ..

thanks in advance

2. k6578 macrumors member

Because you unchecked everything in Sharing under System Preferences, you are not sharing anything. Your neighbour is not able to see your computer and what you do on it.

You see her computer under Shared because she has checked some of the boxes under her own System Preferences and thus, she is sharing files.

You could confirm this with your neighbour if you know her well enough. Ask if you can look at her Finder and see if your name is under her Shared (it won't lol).

Apple's website has more on Sharing settings
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Notice that if you are sharing a particular folder, it is indicated on the Finder window of the folder.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Your neighbor shouldn't, under normal circumstances, be able to see what you're doing on your computer.

Be sure that your router setup page has a unique password.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You see her computer simply because she's part of your network, you most likely cannot view or do anything on it. Same goes for her.

5. ZenErik macrumors 6502

You may also go to 'finder' preferences and then 'Sidebar'. Uncheck 'Connected servers' under 'Shared'. Then you will not even see what other computers you may be able to connect to in the finder.

6. alstemp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback everyone and taking the time to respond. Helped me hugely and put my mind at rest!

Best regards