Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resolution

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable the "Show Password" feature when creating or editing a wireless profile on a Macbook? The reason for this is that the hospital network I work on is still using pre-shared keys (crazy, I know) and Mac's are only allowed access to the wireless via VPN since they make the key visible in plain-text within the network settings. If someone could answer this, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
It's a good policy to grant access to your network from wireless clients via VPN regardless. I'm pretty sure it is fairly easy to get the key or passphrase from windows machines as well...but I'd have to get on a windows box and verify.

And, to answer your question...I don't believe there is anyway to accomplish what you are asking.

Resolution

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
There is a way on Windows to export the wireless settings from one machine to another, but it's not as intuitive as clicking "show password".

I didn't think there was a known way to do this since I can find nothing from searching Google or the forums. Thanks for the reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.