Disable SMS auto-open unread conversation when opening app?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DDustiNN, Feb 10, 2011.

1. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2011
    When I have an unread message, and I click on the app icon to open the app, I would like it to only open to the list of conversations rather than instantly opening the unread conversation. I have looked in the options for the stock Messages app as well as biteSMS and I could not find this option anywhere.

That's how my Android worked and I like it that way, because I can see the short preview of a message without opening it. That way it's still "unread" and the notification icon reminds me to read it and respond later when I have time. Also I don't care for the popup previews, but I do use LockInfo's InfoShade (which I LOVE, btw, because it's so similar to Android's notification bar), but I would still like my apps to behave like I described above.

Is this not possible to do?? I was really surprised that biteSMS didn't have it, since there were so many options...
  2. EddieLucitt macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2011
    As of now, this isn't possible. Hopefully Apple will include this in a future upgrade. This is also an option I would like to have, and wish there was a way to get it.

Hope this helped.
  3. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2011
    Not the answer I was looking for, of course, but helpful nonetheless. Thanks.

I'm surprised that even a 3rd-party app like biteSMS can't get around it though...
  4. crn macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2013
    You could use spotlight search to find a conversation already opened and then go back to your messages, but you'd have to do that every time.
  5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Oct 17, 2011
    Actually, looks like this was actually/finally implemented as described in the original post in iOS 7.