Disable spaces zoom in/out animation?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ender land, May 3, 2011.

1. ender land macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to disable the spaces zoom in/out animation?

Also to disable the little grid thing which appears?

I have disabled the transition between spaces (ie the whoosh type of thing) but am not sure how to disable the time that it takes to display all your spaces side by side and zoom into them, etc.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Are you saying it's too slow? We're talking about the screen going from showing one Space to multiple Spaces, and then back, right?

If I'm correct, try this: As you hit the keyboard shortcut to go in or out, blink. You'll get the timing down eventually, and never see the "animation".

If that's not what you mean, maybe further clarification is in order.

3. ender land thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I hit the shortcut to zoom out to see the 9 spaces I currently have enabled, I want to disable the slow "zoom" feature. It provides no benefit at all other than "flashyness" which is honestly annoying after a while.

I switch between spaces a lot and it is relatively annoying to have the slow fade in/out (not to mention when you have a lot of windows open in lots of spaces it is not really smooth at all and is visibly choppy, this is some really bad resource utilization or something to have this problem on a native app... meh) when going between these views. I also would like to somehow be able to disable the grid that appears when switching to a space but this is a secondary concern :)

Doing development on a 13" mbp means I use spaces and expose a ton and little things which are annoying are, well, annoying :)

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

How slow exactly? The transition should take all of about 0.5 seconds.

5. jegbook macrumors regular

I would argue .5 seconds is longer than it actually takes. It's quick for me with 4 spaces. Not instantaneous, but I'd be hard pressed to feel like I was losing time to it.

But, perhaps with 9 spaces and most RAM utilized, it starts to chug. Definitely plausible.

Don't know if there is a way to disable the transition. And I don't understand the concept of "getting rid of the grid". Do you mean when you look at all spaces at once you want the spaces to be touching each other and not separated? Or layered? The grid seems to make sense for looking at all spaces at once. Nothing jumps to mind as being more efficient.

One thing to try that I set up is using key combinations to go directly to a space. I can pres ctrl and 1, 2, 3, or 4 and go directly to that space. That does save time of seeing all spaces and choosing the space from all available spaces. I lightly categorized the type of tasks for each space and set some apps to always open in a particular space. E.g- regular apps (Mail, Quicken, iTuens, etc.) open in Space 1, Space 2 is for my VM, Space 3 is for Remote Desktop connection, and Space 4 is for utilities (Activity Monitor, Disk Utility, Terminal, etc.).

Though, more often than not, I just Command-Tab through applications. I usually only have 5 to 10 open at a time, and since you can add Shift to the mix to go backwards, that's pretty quick, too.

Good luck with the hunt!

6. ender land thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is still annoying, even moreso since it's choppy. Considering I get literally no benefit out of the neat zoom effect it'd be nice to cut that step out. Not to mention the choppyness of the quick zoom is somewhat disorienting after repeated use.

Oh, yeah, 99% of the time I either use a shortcut (I use option+1...9) or a three finger tap on teh touchpad to bring up the spaces "selector." But again, this makes the little grid which appears even after selecting a space extraneous and pointless, especially considering I can add spaces to the main menu bar and see the numerical index of my current space. It's annoying to have that grid appear at all when 99% of the time I do not need it and have no use for it.

It's just frustrating to see something which is so useful and nice have minor annoying features which would be really easy to provide simple options to customize - which do not do so. Maybe as a developer I'm expecting too much out of features built into the OS...