Disable Specific Software Update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JeffMonty, Oct 16, 2008.

1. JeffMonty macrumors member

Is there a way to disable/not install a specific software update?

I have software update set to automatically check and download any software update(s) every night and a few months ago it downloaded an HP Printer Drivers update that stopped my printer (hp deskjet 3650) from working.

I've tried deleting the downloaded update (from library/printers/hp) and restoring the old driver that worked, but the next day it found that I had uninstalled the update and downloaded it again and prompted me to install it.

I don't want to disable automatic checking/downloading of updates and wanted to know if there was some way to just stop that particular update from showing up in software update.

Thanks in advance

2. NEAME macrumors member

NEAME

3. kmac324 macrumors newbie

Software update won't finish

I recently attempted to update my software, just as I normally do, but this is the first time I've had any problems.

The updates downloaded just fine, but when it came to restarted my Mac I began to have problems. The progress bar stayed on "Configuring Installation" for longer than usual, and then (because my ride was leaving) I had to unplug from the power source and leave. The progress bar never got past "Configuring Installation" and then, out of frustration, I just turned my Mac off. Not the best solution, but I didn't know of anything else I could do.

I'm trying to run the update again but I'm still unsuccessful. The updates all say "downloaded" and immediately ask me to restart, but the process just begins again and nothing happens. Have I messed up my hard drive by shutting down during an installation? I'm still a Newb when it comes to Macs so, if you could help, that'd be great.

kmac324