disable startup chime?...

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by fisherking, Sep 30, 2018.

1. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

i want to permanently disable the startup chime; possible? i've run this in the terminal:

sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80

it works, on the next boot/restart. then the chime returns on a second boot/restart. so, anyone know of a way to disable it for real?

2. chabig macrumors 603

What Mac is it? That might make a difference.

3. fisherking thread starter macrumors 604

fisherking

2 macs; a 2015 macbook pro, a 2016 12" macbook. will try recentlyconverted's suggestion (thanx!)...

4. Venderious macrumors regular

Venderious

Also been looking for this. Had quite a few akward moments in the university library :p

5. chabig macrumors 603

6. fisherking thread starter macrumors 604

fisherking

right, those i've tried. this one, sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80 works on the next reboot, but not thereafter.

a friend got a new imac, and the chime is officially dead (apple now suggests that, to reset the PRAM, hold the keys for '20 seconds').

after hearing the chime for...ever, i like the idea of a silent startup. anyway, again, will try the app suggested above.

7. chabig macrumors 603

Do you think the fact that your commands don't stick might suggest something to do with System Integrity Protection? I wonder if turning that off before making changes and then turning it on would help.

8. fisherking, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018

fisherking thread starter macrumors 604

fisherking

seems, if that were the case, it wouldn't work at all (since it works once). but will try that now, and report back..

EDIT: nope, even with SIP disabled, chime returns on 2nd reboot. anyway, just installed 'silentstartup', so all is well. thanx ppl!

9. davidlv macrumors 65816

I have had great results disabling the startup sound using Onyx, which is free, but I haven't tried the version for Mojave.

10. fisherking thread starter macrumors 604

fisherking

i swore by onyx since... forever, but finally abandoned it last year. did not remember it could do that! but i did install 'slientstartup', and all is well (and quiet)...