Disable Startup Items for a one-time login

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Brendon Bauer, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

I'm sure many of you know how using bootcamp can cause slow startups when switching OS's because it has no cache to use. For example I'll be in Windows and then need to swap back over to Leopard to get something done, but it takes forever. The worst part is the list of login items... I've tried using scripts to separate them by 10 seconds or so, but nothing really made it faster. I was wondering if it was possible to login but cancel or disable the startup items for that login that one time... Sometimes I just need to login to grab something off the internet or something quick, but it takes me awhile because I have to wait for everything to load.

Do I make any sense? :p

And no, safe startup mode does not count. I don't want to disable the entire system... just the login items.

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I believe if you hold shift when you click login, it will not load any startup items. I'm not sure it's shift, it might be cmd or alt, try them and see, but one of them should work.

3. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey that did it! Thanks so much. I heard something like that, but I tried holding shift after clicking login. Holding shift while clicking login worked like a charm.

4. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, now another request :D. If I disable the startup items using the shift key, can I later start up those startup items without logging out and back in? Not individually of course, but by setting off some script or whatever normally happens, just at a later time? So when I'm done doing what I need to do quickly, I can leave the computer be while the startup items go ahead and launch.

I'd prefer not to write some custom script and try to keep that updated with the list of login items if it's possible.

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I don't know of any way to launch the login items beyond logging out and in again I'm afraid. I'd personally write a little bash script or AppleScript to launch the appropriate items, but as you say you'd have to keep that updated should you change any of your login items.

6. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502