Disable step counter in Health?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techiebug, Oct 2, 2014.

1. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Hi guys I'm pretty confused about the step counting in the Health app. Does it count my step by default? And can I disable it?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The M8 chip in the iPhone is what records your step data, and it always does it. The Health app is just a portal to view data. If you want to see your step data, add the Step dashboard in the Health app. If you don't want to see it, don't add the Step dashboard.

3. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I'd be interested to know ultimately how much memory this is going to use. If you look at the actual data, it's taking data captures every minute or two and saving them in a log that goes on forever. And mine has only been tracking data for a few days. Health app is showing it only takes up 2.2mb so far, but I wonder what this is going to look like in a year if it saves it all. I can't seem to manage storage in the health app through settings.

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Don't walk with your phone and it won't count your steps.

5. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

The M8 coprocessor will even count your steps when your battery died. It is ridiculously power efficient. You don't need to turn it off.

6. dvdchance macrumors regular

I've been looking for a little bit now and I cannot find any settings for the units of measure the health app uses.

Can you change km in the walking and running distance section to miles?

7. techiebug thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow didn't know that. Not sure how accurate it is because it's not in real time.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Apple typically doesn't give you features if they're not good for you :D

9. dvdchance macrumors regular

It must be possible. I've seen screenshots with it showing miles.

10. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

It's based on the region you have set up in phone settings, so US shows miles. Kind of silly -- I feel like there should be a setting to change it to imperial or metric, but it doesn't look like one exists (yet).