Disable the internet... for 30 minutes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wallock, Sep 26, 2008.

1. wallock, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

wallock macrumors member

2. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

You can probably do this within the 'parental control' setting in the system preference pane.
    You'll have to set up a new account though that doesn't have admin priviledges.

3. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

4. wallock, Sep 26, 2008

wallock thread starter macrumors member

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't know of any such app, but I would buy it if it existed!

My strategy is generally to go downstairs and turn off my dsl modem when I really need to focus. I can usually resist going back to turn it on again for a couple hours until I get what I need done. But if you live in a small apartment where your internet connection is physically closer, this strategy might not work as well.

6. ProfMonnitoff macrumors newbie

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow! I just downloaded it. Now I need to get some work done. If all goes well, I won't be back for at least 30 minutes!

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Sorry to post two-in-a-row, but I just wanted to confirm that product works exactly as advertised for me--I put in a 30-minute time request, typed my admin password, and enjoyed 30 minutes of time offline.

It beeps at you when your time offline is complete, and as you can see by my timestamps, I couldn't come back for more than 30 minutes!

9. wallock, Sep 26, 2008

wallock thread starter macrumors member

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Oof. That's kind of lame. Yeah, force-quitting seems to disable it. Surely there's a way to disable force-quitting that one app, isn't there?

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

One of my friends set specific times for his kids' internet access by putting their router on a household timer. You might adopt a similar approach.

One marvels at the lengths one will go to -- especially when it's all to try to keep yourself from doing something! Do you think you can really outsmart yourself? ;)

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Even despite the force-quitting option, so far I'm doing pretty well with the Freedom system. If I know I can get back online in 30 minutes, I'm able to resist force quitting the app. Whereas if I wasn't running the app, I might "just check something" online and then 30 minutes later wonder where all my time went.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not really: there is no way to prevent a kill -9 killing an app: it's like a last resort, kill hard at an OS level Unix thing...

14. ChanelCinq macrumors newbie

I am looking for something similar but is there something out there that blocks the internet for certain time periods. I can't get off the computer at night. I started using leechblocker for Firefox and that was awesome. My entire internet stopped at 11PM. And then the third night I realized I have Chrome and Safari.

So is there anything like leechblocker for all of the browers or something like Freedom but I can set certain time periods in advance like 11PM to 7 AM?

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

How do you connect? You can set time limits in AirPort Utility if you use AirPort, and third-party devices may have similar options.

16. ChanelCinq macrumors newbie

I did a search for "set time limits in Airport Utility" and the directions didn't seem to work. I don't have the tabs that it wants me to click on. In fact it just shows my Time Capsul.

Is there any way you can help with specific directions.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way on an old thread with a title that doesn't even match the help I am asking for.

17. ChanelCinq macrumors newbie

I figured it out. However there is nothing to stop me from turning it off. Leechblocker in Firefox CANNOT be changed once it starts. I love it!

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Change the password to something random, write it down, and store it in a drawer at work :p

19. ChanelCinq macrumors newbie

I quit my job and moved to an island and I am currently a full time student. I don't have a drawer at work.

There has to be something out there though that would block my internet and I would be unable to change any settings once it starts. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for your help. I'll see how much self control I have with the Airport Utility settings.

20. taenzerme macrumors newbie

Blocking internet access

Give these a try:

SelfControl is a little app blocking access to specific hosts (that you can define yourself) for a given time period (http://visitsteve.com/made/selfcontrol/)

Sadly you can't predefine periods.

What works good for me is StayFocusd for Chrome, a browser extension doing the same (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/laankejkbhbdhmipfmgcngdelahlfoji)

There's another extension for Safari WasteNoTime doing the same (http://bumblebeesystems.dyndns.org/wastenotime/)

(just signed up for posting this as searching for those solutions myself :) )

21. ChanelCinq macrumors newbie

That is so awesome. The Chrome extension seems very similar to the Firefox extension. Now the Safari extension does not appear that I can set up blocks of time in advance. Am I missing some thing on that one?

This is really great though!

Thank you so much.

I looked and looked and came up empty handed each time so I totally appreciate this post.