Disable TV-Out

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by TheMacBookPro, Jan 28, 2011.

1. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Hey.

My car (a Lexus GS) has the Navigation package, however, it does not have a DVD player nor video input to the factory 7" display.

I have decided against installing an aftermarket DVD/vid input device (had enough squeaking after taking apart half the dash to install a Pioneer HU in my old Honda) and decided to use my iPad as the 'in-car entertainment' solution to placate the passengers.

Now, my car has a USB iPod input and a 3.5mm AUX input. I am currently using the analog AUX input to play audio thru the car's speakers. I would, however, prefer to use the digital 30-pin input, if possible, since I can choose songs and such thru the factory display (and for the slightly better audio quality).

However, using the iPod connector disables all video from the iPad, replacing the video with a gray screen with 'Video is playing on the TV'.

I am wondering if there is any way to disable TV out, like on my 5G nano (toggle in settings). Jailbroken iPad running 4.2.1.

Cheers

2. maxrochford1 macrumors newbie

Disable

What you do is you go to settings-iPod then scroll down to video and bam you will see video out click off and there u go

3. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's not how it is on my iPad...
    Under TV Out I have:

Widescreen (On/Off)
    TV Signal (NTSC/PAL)

Any other ideas?
    Cheers

4. aviram608560 macrumors newbie

dude did u find a solution for this by any chance ? i have the same problem and its suck a bumber..

5. TheMacBookPro, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Nope, never did figure it out. I eventually bought a video input kit that plugged into the factory navigation screen (had to disassemble dash) and just plugged my spare iPod touch into that.

Have sold sold the GS since and bought another car with factory video input.

6. aviram608560 macrumors newbie

thanx for the update

i just bought an oxygen o-car for my car and it's awesome except that issue so i will continue to look for a solution..

7. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Oh yeah I saw that single-DIN radio replacement- it's the one which lets you dock the iPhone to use as the screen right?

Don't you find the 3.5" screen a tad small though? I tried using my HD2 a while back as a windshield mounted nav and found that to be small (4.3").

Got any pictures of it installed?

8. aviram608560 macrumors newbie

about the o car

i think it's just perfect, it gave me a solution for every problem i had..
    dock for iphone
    connect the iphone to the car audio
    navigation

and more
    as i ay my hand on the shift gear i am all ready to write a text since the phone is right in my hands position besides it doesnt matter what king of a car kit that connects to the ipod you have its never goin to be cose to what the iphone does or its touch screen i mean there are so many advantages

i cracked my phone hence i put 3g unrestrictor so i can use facetime while i'm outside wi fi zone so i drive and have facetime, skype calls, whatch the news live.. (i know dangerous)
    i don'y find the screen to be to small especially when you can rotate and move it with the cradle however my only problem still remains the tv out with youtube and the ipod app

9. w1kedz macrumors newbie

I realize that this was a couple of years ago, so I don't know if there is still interest in it, but I had the same problem so I wrote a jailbreak tweak to disable the video out (in all apps) while using the AV cable. If there is interest I can submit it to a repo for you guys.

NoTVOut:

Disables output of video through AV cable for use with docks and car stereos. (Audio still outputs through dock or AV cable)

Adds a settings pane (in settings app) to enable and disable the bypass.

~w1kedz

10. cashibds macrumors newbie

You'd be a god send if you could please share that. looks like there hasn't been a solution since 2010

11. gnarwha1e macrumors newbie

I'm in need of this same fix for my mini with retina display...does anyone know of one on Cydia? w1kedz do you still have this and could you somehow share it?