Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osx86

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Where can I find a Cydia tweak that disables the typing/response "..." ellipse bubble from revealing when you are typing back or replying to an SMS/TEXT in iMessage.
Sometimes I receive texts and don't want the person to know i'm in the middle of texting them back or responding to them, until I press send.
I tried BiteSMS and it still sends them the "..." typing bubble as im typing the SMS.
I would prefer just a tweak to disable that "..." response bubble, not an iMessage replacement app.
Help is much appreciated!

mb200k

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
I have never heard of a way to disable the typing bubbles in imessage but im pretty sure it doesnt appear when sending a normal text message. I may be wrong but i dont think it is possible due to the way this apps work, it's the same with whatsapp and facebook messenger...
But i would love to know if there is a way to disable this, as i hate when people see the typing and complain that i didnt sent them a response. :p
Please keep us informed!!!

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Quickcompose with BiteSMS does not reveal to the other person that you are typing (or so I believe)

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Strange you don't want someone to know you're replying back to them...

But I'm pretty sure you can't disable the "..." bubble from showing up on SOMEONE'S phone.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Strange you don't want someone to know you're replying back to them...

But I'm pretty sure you can't disable the "..." bubble from showing up on SOMEONE'S phone.

How do you think that someone is getting a message from Apple's servers, saying that it should display the "..."? That's right, from YOUR phone ;) Finding out a way to disable/block that request while typing would essentially make it so that the "..." won't display on their phone.

Last edited:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
How do you think that someone is getting a message from Apple's servers, saying that it should display the "..."? That's right, from YOUR phone ;) Finding put a way to disable/block that request while typing would essentially make it so that the "..." won't display on their phone.

I still don't think there is a way.

Try Flex, use it to go through the iMessage app.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,602

derrick2005

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
Just to say thanks so much for mentioning flex. I'd never heard of until I saw this post and now I've spent all morning making my phone more awesome. Best thing is hiding the update notice on App Store. Thanks again!

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Out of pure curiosity... Why is that few seconds so important? I mean, why is it so dreadful that they see a "..." when you'll be sending the message in a few seconds anyway? :confused::confused::confused:

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Flex is a great JB tool. Uninstalled Springtomize 2 and a few other reduntant tweaks no longer needed thanks to Flex.

I'm looking for a Flex patch that hides/disables Spotlight search on the springboard. Does anyone know if a patch for this exists?

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Out of pure curiosity... Why is that few seconds so important? I mean, why is it so dreadful that they see a "..." when you'll be sending the message in a few seconds anyway? :confused::confused::confused:

Why do you care? I hate when people ask how to do something and people start prying into their mind.

Flex is a great JB tool. Uninstalled Springtomize 2 and a few other reduntant tweaks no longer needed thanks to Flex.

I'm looking for a Flex patch that hides/disables Spotlight search on the springboard. Does anyone know if a patch for this exists?

Do you mean remove entirely or just the search on SB stuff? If the former, try NoSpot.

EDIT: My god, Flex is incredible. Also liking the Metro-ish UI!

Last edited:

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA

Here's a situation where it might be useful. Say you send me a message and I start typing but then change my mind to reply later. Without this tweak, you would know that I started typing but did not hit send. With this tweak, you would never know. Makes sense?

----------

NoSpot?

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City

My case I hate the delivered notification, I wish their was a a patch so it doesn't say delivered in the other side of the conv. I just hate people knowing I actually received their msg. Disabling the typing options its just a great add-on to what I want iMessage to be.

JBryan84

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Does turning the setting off for iMessages also remove the dots in Bitesms? Because there isn't a setting in Bitesms for flex to do this. Just curious if it also works for Bitesms when disabling for iMessages?

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Why do you care? I hate when people ask how to do something and people start prying into their mind.

Aren't you doing the same thing by asking that question? Calm down. As I said, if you had actually read it, "OUT OF PURE CURIOSITY".

Thank you to the others, who actually gave useful and sensible answers, unlike this guy here.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Aren't you doing the same thing by asking that question? Calm down. As I said, if you had actually read it, "OUT OF PURE CURIOSITY".

Thank you to the others, who actually gave useful and sensible answers, unlike this guy here.

Keep your curiosity to yourself. Oh, and if you had actually read what I said, you would have seen I answered HickDead's post ;). What advice have you given in this thread?

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
My case I hate the delivered notification, I wish their was a a patch so it doesn't say delivered in the other side of the conv. I just hate people knowing I actually received their msg. Disabling the typing options its just a great add-on to what I want iMessage to be.

I'm sure you already know this, but "delivered" just means the message successfully made it to your phone, not that you've actually seen it. I actually love that feature, as I've experience many cases where actual carrier text messages never went through, and I waited hours/days for a response but the other person never even knew I asked something.

However, like you, I do dislike the "read" feature, where it tells the other person what time you read their message. I have that disabled in my options, as I often reply to messages later when I have a chance, and don't want people to think I'm ignoring them.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBryan84

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Does turning the setting off for iMessages also remove the dots in Bitesms? Because there isn't a setting in Bitesms for flex to do this. Just curious if it also works for Bitesms when disabling for iMessages?

I figured it out on my own. No the patch does not work for BiteSMS. I just requested the feature/patch be made for BiteSMS on Reddit so hopefully someone makes it soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.