Disable unsecure network connect

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maccon, Sep 12, 2011.

1. maccon macrumors newbie

I am a recent Win2Mac convert using a 21.5" iMac - SnowLeopard 10.6

I have blocked some sites in my router, but my Mac savvy middle schooler overcomes that by connecting to an unsecured network in the neighborhood. Is there a way to prevent my iMac from connecting to an unsecured network?

Thanks for your help.

2. DESNOS macrumors 6502

Mac OS has support for blocking sites, but you can only do by enabling parental controls on his main account. You also set the password for the account to something only you know, or he can just disable it.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

In the advanced settings in the network preferences, under the airport tab, click the box that says "change networks" under the require to admin password to:

Unless your mac saavy middle-schooler knows the admin password, then your problem is solved. ;)

Attached Files:

4. maccon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response.

I want to block these sites from 4PM to 10PM without switching on Mac.

I remember setting time limits and login times using my administrator privilege, still he was able to use the computer for hours. I'll check parental controls again.

Thanks, exactly what I wanted. Any idea how he is able to use the computer for hours when I set a limit of 2 hours a day? I'll be shocked if he guessed the admin password.

5. DESNOS macrumors 6502

When is he using the computer? The 2 hours a day should reset at 12:00 AM, so that may be why.

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

My daughter uses my computer and I created her own account and I control it on mine. Sites are blocked and she can't change anything at all unless I do it. It's nice because all her stuff is on her side and doesn't get in the way of mine.

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

No idea, unless he switched to another user and then it's two hours per user or the other user wasn't limited??
    Just double check your settings in the parental controls and never underestimate a kid's ability to guess their parents password. I'd go ahead and just change it, just in case.