Disable USB charging when plugging in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joz3d, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Joz3d macrumors member

Is there any way to disable the iPhone from charging when plugging it in via USB? I've started commuting to work by train (hour and a half trip), and am tethering with my MacBook Air over USB (because it's much faster than via Bluetooth). It seems to be draining my MacBook's battery a bit faster than usual due to powering the iPhone (which I start with a full charge anyway). I'd like to disable USB charging so my battery lasts longer. It's tremendously easier to charge my iPhone at work vs. my MacBook.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The only way I can think of is to get a custom iPhone cable that has the 'power' connection-pins removed from the 30-pin connector.

I've never seen anything like that for sale, though. I'd suggest calling companies that do iPhone repairs. Perhaps one of them would be willing to take on a custom job like that.

(And I'm just guessing. Perhaps they can tell you why my idea is stupid. Worth asking.)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless you want to physically alter the usb cable, then no there's no way. Its feature that is physically designed and not controlled by software.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Maybe a cheap USB hub that has no external power supply. Worth a try. :cool:

5. headcheese macrumors regular

Was coming in to type what Givmeabrek said. Try it!

6. Joz3d thread starter macrumors member

That's a good idea, thanks. :)

7. dgstan macrumors 6502a

You also might want to try and older cable. Didn't they change the pinouts a while back?

8. fhd4 macrumors member

Remove the battery from the phone .... Oops it is not removable !! :rolleyes:

9. WolfXL macrumors newbie

In which case (if you could) it would still draw power through the USB...nice try though.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...and weigh more and/or have less power reserve.:D