Disable Windows 7 Activation - Problems With Virtualisation

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kolax, Jan 11, 2011.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I have Boot Camp set up so Parallels Desktop can access it. Trouble is, whenever I boot up using Parallels, Windows Activation fails. If I boot up in Boot Camp, and reactive, all is fine.

Rather annoying - Windows functions fine (as far as I'm aware) when the activation fails, but it just means that I have to keep closing the popup box that appears.

Best way to sort all of this?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you have Parallels Tools installed? At least with VMWare, the tools help smooth all of this out by making the VM look like an alternate hardware configuration of the same box (like a docked laptop).

B

3. Miker2k macrumors regular

I have a similar issue. My bootcamp is golden but when I open my bootcamp in Fusion it prompts me to activate. It's irritating but liveable.

4. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

I posted a link somewhere on here only a few days ago to Parallels knowledgebase on this matter.

Basically you need to a) install Parallels Tools (update first) and b) Set Parallels and your Windows network adaptor to the same MAC address. Then activate first in Windows Boot Camp, then in Parallels. That worked for me.

5. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

so are you saying by installing vmware tools that that will allow you to run the same win7 OS (more importantly the SAME product code) on both bootcamp and the VM without activation issues?

I talked with microsoft today and the lady insisted I would need to buy a whole new win7 retail copy and install it on my VM if I wanted it to work smoothly. Which is total crap since I bought a legitimate retail copy! It's my understanding (from countless threads read) if we buy a retail copy we can move it around and use it on different computers.

either way, just curious if anybody has heard this from MS?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Works for me. I have Win 7 Pro 32 bit on the uMB and Win 7 Ulitmate 64 bit on the MBP. Both are activated and work fine in either Boot Camp or Fusion. NOTE: This is the case when VMWare boots the BC partition, not a totally separate VM.

I did have an activation dropout while updating VMWare Tools in one update, but that was my own stupidity for hitting the button when Windows came up with the "This copy of Windows is not genuine" thing during the upgrade.

Whether this is fully in line with the EULA remains a bit of a question. Here is the language:
    The question is with the "instead of" language.

B

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

How do I go about changing the network adapter to the same MAC address in Parallels and Windows?

8. TPadden, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

TPadden macrumors 6502a

I just did the phone activation (automated) for the VM copy; input the numbers, make sure you answer 1 for the number of computers the OS copy is installed on (it is on 1 computer) and input the automated numbers I was given - activation successful. :)

9. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

If this problem persists, ring up Microsoft, inform them that you are trying to run it in a virtual machine. And they'll happily provide you with another key.

10. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I guess this depends on who you talk to at Microsoft, because the lady I spoke with today said they DO NOT give out additional product codes and that I would have to purchase a whole new one.

However, to back up your post - I have read where several people have indeed called microsoft and got this resolved without having to buy anything. I'm assuming this happened for you since you posted this info.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you clarify if you are trying to boot your existing Boot Camp partition or a separate VM? The former should work entirely through the automated system. No one to talk to but a machine.

B

12. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I am talking about booting from my existing boot camp partition. I felt like I explained that to the lady on the phone at Microsoft, but maybe she didn't understand exactly what I was saying. She continued to say you need to purchase another product code to activate a VM. Which would make sense if you wanted to run a SEPARATE virtual machine.

either way, I've seen where people simply make a call and get it resolved.