Disable Write Access to Removable Storage Devices on a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by boonchunt, Dec 16, 2009.

1. boonchunt macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I need help to control the usage of my company people on USB Thumbdrive.

I'm looking to Enable Read Access to Thumbdrive but Disable Write Access so as to prevent the laptop user from copying files from the Company Database.

I found the DenyThumbdrive Software, but it is not what I'm looking for.

Is it possible? Thanks in advance.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's something that could be done per thumb drive, but it would also be something that the user could undo. I don't know that you'll be able to find a solution that people couldn't find a way around. They could always launch Linux in a virtual machine or from a live disc and copy data to a flash drive.

You'd be better off either disabling USB access or just giving the users the training of how not to use company data and let them know the consequences of taking company data off the machine.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Simply enabling read access while blocking write access does not stop someone from copying the data. If an application can read the data, it can copy it.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

As others have said, if you don't trust users with data, don't make it available to them. If it can be read, users can find a way to copy it. It would help to know what sort of database you're using, whether it's local or remote, how the laptops are used, and what sort of permissions the users have.

Regardless, it's trivially easy to copy files over wireless.

5. boonchunt thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your kind opinion, but I'm expecting a solution still. Window can do this, I'm sure Mac has a way.

Some of you might not have acknowledge that Apple Mac has a Parental Control that limit application and web access. We limit only a few applications & website to be visited for the user account and they don't have the administrator right to BURN CD, DVD or Install Application, and neither email. The laptop is used on a Retail based.

The objective is to minimize the incident of copying data through prevention. If the staff is so clever to install Linux or decode the possible encryption, that would be our mistake to hire them. But, think again, not all people are as smart as you who will try decode.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Those parental controls can be bypassed as well, and not that hard to do. There's likely ways around the Windows solutions you have too.