Disabled man 'killed for sport'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Queso, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Not sure if this has been covered already, but if it has I haven't seen it. To say I'm disgusted doesn't even begin to cover it. WTF is wrong with the human race? :mad::mad:

BBC News

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Here's the verdict by the way. I hope someone in that prison corners them and does the same to them.

Link

4. mufflon macrumors 6502

seemed like a rather good verdict for change - they certainly had it coming... ... murder and the attack on the disabled is viscious and brutal and should never be accepted anywhere anytime

5. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

6. thecritix macrumors 6502

welcome to the uk...

life doesnt mean life, parole is given far too easily because the government don't like to build prisons.. these people should hang, what good have these two (or the arguably worse mother) got to offer the world, other than the production of more like themselves..

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Do the same to them I say, be nice if the damn death penalty was brought back, we're wayyyyyy to lenient with criminals...

8. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Send them over here to Texas - we'll do it right. :)

9. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I don't want to start another death penalty debate, but I would like to voice my distaste at these comments.

Nothing personal, gents.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There are times when I despair of the depths of depravity which people can reach. Even if it started as thoughtlessness, how on earth can people become so carried away and goad each other on without realising that what they are doing is wrong?

11. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

It's not that they don't realize it's wrong - it's that they don't care. They either don't think they'll get caught or don't think the consequences will be any worse than the state their life is already in. In the US we constantly hear about people who commit crimes just so they'll be sent to jail where food and clothing and a bed will be provided for years to come, not to mention cable TV and so forth. And there are even instances where they can earn money by working while they're in there and they can get a lump sum paycheck when they're released. It's all BS. The whole judicial system is ridiculous.

12. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Perhaps it's just me, or just the accessibility of the media these days, but is certainly seems like there are more "killing for sport" type of crimes lately. I recall, in particular, the one where a couple of girls in Australia killed another girl for fun. I mean, what gives?!

Either way, it's just sad. I keep hoping that their time in prison will teach them a lesson, but the system so often fails to rehabilitate that that hope is pretty minimal.

Is there any chance of Brent's family getting some sort of retribution in the civil courts?

13. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I'm against the death penalty in principle, but there are times when I could make an exception. This would be one of them.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Or lets pay £5 to anyone in jail who uses these guys as toys for their pleasure.

Yes, it sounds quite pessimistic, but I feel the same way sometimes. This is one of those times.

15. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I've heard a story about the way the Natives handled something like this.

I believe those convicted are sent on a journey. A very tough journey. If they make it back alive, they've paid their price.

For these guys, I think sending them to the North pole in shorts.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OMG! What on earth is this world coming too ? Seriously its really awful and depressing. At least the justice system seems to have worked - not much consolation for the victim though :eek:

17. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Holy crap! I can't, NO, make that I don't like to believe this can happen but then the news shows me once again how primitive some people still are no matter where any of us live. My only question: is there "hard labor" there or just maximum security prisons? It would seem fitting that they be given hard labor for the crimes but some will argue with that thought as well and that's not the intent of the question/statement.

I would strongly agree that these waste of humans just don't care about anything, anyone or even any outcome in life, now or later. I don't like to see that people can't change but given facts from family that deals with the prison system (rehab/counseling side of things) most offenders don't change their mindset until "they" are way older and would end up loosing a battle or their life. That's where most (the one's that could change but are small in a percentage factor) start to rethink things but again at what, 50-65? I also don't want to say it, but whatever they serve is better than getting away with it and never getting caught or getting the chance to harm others for sport.

18. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Ugh what a way to end a night by reading such a vile story... I can't believe those "people" are even part of the human species...

19. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I... Wow.. I feel more depressed then I was originally...

They should get life, seriously, if I saw the victim's face, I would puke. This is absolutely disgusting.

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm sure the UK has their own version of "Federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison".

21. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I don't think 15-22 years is long enough. Even if the 16 year old did 22 years he'd be my age when he is released and that (I feel) is still pretty young.

On a side note, I'm not sure I'd celebrate the sentence with champagne if it were a member of my family who has been murdered.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^ Maybe not, but at least a few high-fives would be in order.

In many cases, the sentencing seems to be so light. The reason is usually because "they're all so young," which is a lame excuse. In this case, the sentence really was what they deserved, although they also deserve to be pounded in jail. :)

23. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

surely, virtually every one of them?

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hmm, I suppose they would be, wouldn't they? Not every prison in the U.S. is a federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison. There are state pound-me-in-the-ass prisons as well. :D

25. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

It makes it even worse that his mother tried to cover it up. I can't believe the perversion in the mind of someone who would do something like this, and then someone who tries to let them get off with it.

Yeah, I'm not much for the death penalty, but these people will do nothing but crowd the prisons, and if they're released... God almighty would that be wrong. They truly are worthless.

And people, quit saying "what is the world coming to?" Have you taken even a Jr. High-level history class? History is full of horrible crimes against humanity like the Spanish inquisition, racism and slavery, forced lobotomies of the mentally disabled and people who were nothing more than depressed. The world is no worse now than ever.