Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v1nsai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hey all first post here, I disabled the Dashboard a while back and haven't missed it at all. However I'm messing around with my boot camp setup and I need a way to force hibernation instead of the "hybrid" sleep that happens automatically.

So I remember that I disabled it with a simple command from Terminal, but don't remember it off the top of my head. I've been googling around for "disable Dashboard mac lion" which has brought up the following:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
killall Dock
which seems extremely likely to have been how I disabled it, but this isn't bringing it back when I change the boolean to false, like so
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean NO
and killall Dock it's still gone. I've gone back and forth quite a few times but I haven't been able to get it to come back.

Is there any way I can force the process to start up manually? I've tried opening the Dashboard.app but it doesn't do anything and doesn't have any output in the log or command line. I'm pretty stumped, and I'm still pretty new to OS X (but not Unix) maybe someone more familiar with the internals can help me kickstart this thing?

v1nsai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
It's not "completely messed up" just the dashboard doesn't work because I told it not to. I don't remember how I did it and how to undo it, trying to find more information on how it works so I can determine what the problem is. The Dashboard.app is missing something and can't start up even when selected manually

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.