disabled usb ports on imac core duo

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scubscub, Oct 21, 2012.

1. scubscub macrumors newbie

Hello, I just inherited an old imac and was trying to set it up.

Plugged in the keyboard and mouse, and a USB hub, turned it on and got an error message that the USB device was drawing too much power and the port would be disabled. Keyboard and mouse stopped working.

I then turned it off (which seems to have been my mistake), and when I turned it on again (without the USB hub this time) the keyboard and mouse continued to not work. I unplugged them and plugged them back in, no luck. I have since tried restarting the computer, with or without keyboard and mouse, etc., they will not work. I can't get past the login screen.

The mouse is optical and lights up when plugged in but will not move the cursor. Both the mouse and keyboard work on other computers.

I have seen advice on how to boot in safe mode, or reset the memory, etc., but all of these require a keyboard at the least -- is there any way I can fix this problem without a mouse or keyboard?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Reset the SMC. Unplug the computer, hold the power button down for 10 seconds, replug and power up.

3. scubscub thread starter macrumors newbie

Alas, no luck. I did get the power use error again though.

Could it be a memory issue? The person I got the computer from saided it needed more memory.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Could be the hub, the mouse, the keyboard. Plug in just the keyboard or just the mouse and see if it works.

5. scubscub thread starter macrumors newbie

6. scubscub thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, from bad to worse. Now when I try to boot, I hear the drive spin but the screen remains black, and there's no chime.