Disabling a key?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Arkane9, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Arkane9 macrumors newbie

Hi all. I've had this problem for 2 days now and it's driving me crazy! My right shift key is constantly pressed. I've pried it open and see no problems. Even went to the apple store and I was told I would need to replace the whole casing part for only one key! Is there any way, through a 3rd party program or a terminal command, that I would be able to disable the key? I don't know what else to do and this is slowly ruining my life, seriously. I can't even do my school work because the key is always enabled! Please help. Thanks.

2. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Are you still under Apple Care or no? If you are I'd recommend just replacing the whole keyboard top case. It sounds drastic but it's really not so bad - it didn't take very long when they had to replace mine, and you get a brand new keyboard and trackpad as a result! It would probably just be easier in the long run than to deal with the headache of always having the shift key enabled, or never enabled at all if you do find that software.

If you're not still covered under Apple Care, then perhaps keep looking for that software, or maybe you could just pick up an external keyboard for when you need to do some serious writing for school.

Good luck! :eek: