Disabling all animations.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by theaero, Sep 15, 2010.

1. theaero macrumors 6502

So, the main quirk I have with iPhones are the animations. Everywhere. It makes everything seem SO slow. For example, I spell a word wrong, i have to hold the world, click select, then click replace, then click the word. Each one of those transitions has an animation that makes the process much longer than it needs to be. I also find the animations when bringing up the multitasking menu, launching apps, etc, all to be extremely bothersome, and detrimental. Is there anyway to kill ALL animations, fades, transitions, etc? Or speed them up? Or even just kill some of them? I've wondered this for awhile. Thanks.

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

I'm with you man. The first thing I do on a fresh windows install is disable animations. If we could have apps, safari, etc pop up instantly that would be awesome. I don't need all the loops and swoops and swirls and twirls and thrills and chills of these constant animations.

3. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

+1 Even though I have an iPhone 4 I'd still like to know if this is possible...

4. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

On somewhat of a side note...does anyone know why sometimes app-opening animations are smooth and sometimes they're 'jittery'. It actually drives me nuts when an app opens choppy. I would love to see if there's a way to make them all open nice and smooth. Strangely, whenever I open an app from a folder it's perfectly smooth every time.

5. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Bumpin this up in hopes of someone having suggestions or information related to the iPhone's biggest flaw: time consuming animations.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They are all a part of the iPhone experience, hence there is no way to disable them.

7. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking allows for things that arent part of the iPhone experience. The stock iPhone experience is subpar. I can think of one way to remove them or speed them up, but it would require a lot of work that I am most likely not capable of doing.

Doing a lot of changing from boolean animation vars to no, and setting transition times to 0... however this isnt done via plists or settings, so it would require some reverse engineering, which seems kinda difficult o_O

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yeah, I was thinking it's most likely buried deep in compiled files. Therefore, you'd need the source code to change them. Or get lucky reverse engineering them as you suggested.

9. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so I've been messing around simply with the multitasking transition (first one that came to my head) and it is definitely possible to make it instant. I've figured (i believe) what things and values need to be changed, the only problem is my actual programming skills (in terms of building something that will implement these changes) aren't sufficient. :(

Still trying and learning though. :)