Disabling Auto-Reverse Tape Desk in 2000 Silverado

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zflauaus, May 30, 2008.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I want to use a cassette adapter to hook up my iPod to my stereo in my 2000 Chevy Silverado. I've used it and now it's doing the dreaded auto-reverse/eject thing. I've looked in the manual and online but nowhere does it say how to do it in my specific case.

My head unit is a SCV/CD unit while I have my cassette adapter as a slave. There is no documentation on how to disable the auto-reverse, so I thought I'd ask here if anybody knows how. It'd be the same head unit in a Suburban.

Many thanks.

2. fuzorsilverbolt macrumors member

Tape Adapter

I used to use a tape adapter in my car also but my cassette tape deck would constantly flip sides and fast forward the cassette. What I did to fix it was to unscrew the tape cassette adapter. There will be a bunch of gears inside the adapter. I removed all of the gears except for the teeth that would connect to the drive sprockets in the tape drive in the car then reassembled the adapter. This allows the sockets to move smoothly and it kept my deck from fast forwarding and flipping once essentially the friction caused by the gears inside the tape adapter were removed.

3. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm... There are no screws visible on my cassette adapter. It's a Sony one (don't have the exact model number yet)... Do I have to pry it open some how?

4. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

My mom's old '01 Yukon XL did the same thing with cassette adapters (along with my grandfathers '98 Monte Carlo) and it's really annoying. There is a really good GM forum somewhere on the web, and I'm sure they'd have an answer over there. Good luck.