Disabling Cellular Activity on Gen 3?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by geesus, Jun 17, 2018.

1. geesus macrumors 6502

geesus

Hi, maybe a bit of a niche question but still. I want a stainless steel Apple Watch so am basically forced into buying a cellular flavour, so my question is, can you switch off the cellular ability of this watch and save being nagged about it or having it drain the battery unnecessarily?

Thanks.

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Just buy it & use it. You don’t have cellular plan, cellular won’t work anyway.

3. Ansath macrumors regular

Ansath

I was in the same situation a few months back. Cellular is automatically off, you don't get nagged at all to have a data plan. It just acts like the non-cellular version.

Some screenshots attached showing the watch and iPhone screens when you're not on a network that supports the watch. There seems to be no negative impact on the battery.

fullsizeoutput_21b1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_21b2.jpeg fullsizeoutput_21b3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_21b4.jpeg

4. geesus thread starter macrumors 6502

geesus

5. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

As said it won’t matter if you don’t have a data plan

6. Gonky macrumors regular

Gonky

If you have no data plan can you still call emergency services without your phone?

7. geesus thread starter macrumors 6502

geesus

In a stunning twist I decided stumping up £5 a month was worth it for full functionality, considering the fortune I spend on my phone a month anyway.

8. chabig macrumors 603

Yes you can call emergency services without a cell phone plan.

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Since you have not setup cellular services with your carrier, emergency services will not have an E911 Address registered for your number which may delay services.

Dave

10. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I honestly had no idea you could activate cellular right through the Watch app on my iPhone. Pretty great to know in the event I want to activate the feature on my S3 down the road.