Disabling Cellular Activity on Gen 3?

geesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
Hi, maybe a bit of a niche question but still. I want a stainless steel Apple Watch so am basically forced into buying a cellular flavour, so my question is, can you switch off the cellular ability of this watch and save being nagged about it or having it drain the battery unnecessarily?

Thanks.

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Hi, maybe a bit of a niche question but still. I want a stainless steel Apple Watch so am basically forced into buying a cellular flavour, so my question is, can you switch off the cellular ability of this watch and save being nagged about it or having it drain the battery unnecessarily?

Thanks.

Just buy it & use it. You don’t have cellular plan, cellular won’t work anyway.

Reactions: geesus

Ansath

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2018
England
I was in the same situation a few months back. Cellular is automatically off, you don't get nagged at all to have a data plan. It just acts like the non-cellular version.

Some screenshots attached showing the watch and iPhone screens when you're not on a network that supports the watch. There seems to be no negative impact on the battery.

fullsizeoutput_21b1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_21b2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_21b3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_21b4.jpeg

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Thanks.
As said it won’t matter if you don’t have a data plan

Gonky

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
UK
If you have no data plan can you still call emergency services without your phone?

geesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
In a stunning twist I decided stumping up £5 a month was worth it for full functionality, considering the fortune I spend on my phone a month anyway.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Since you have not setup cellular services with your carrier, emergency services will not have an E911 Address registered for your number which may delay services.

Dave

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I was in the same situation a few months back. Cellular is automatically off, you don't get nagged at all to have a data plan. It just acts like the non-cellular version.

Some screenshots attached showing the watch and iPhone screens when you're not on a network that supports the watch. There seems to be no negative impact on the battery.

View attachment 766557 View attachment 766558 View attachment 766559 View attachment 766560

I honestly had no idea you could activate cellular right through the Watch app on my iPhone. Pretty great to know in the event I want to activate the feature on my S3 down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.