Disabling discrete graphic for battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ADAADW, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ADAADW macrumors member

Hey

I was wondering if there is any way (or if there is a way though software) to only use the integrated intel graphics on the new 2010 i5 15in macbook pro's? For myself i don't do anything overly heavy, some photoshop and logic express 9 hear and there but would like the 15in screen size. The critical thing i need to have a good battery life and know the best way to get this would be to use integrated graphics. So the question is can i? would a software update allow this? or am i just out of luck?

Thanks for the help!

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

At this point, no. But I would suspect that there will be a 3rd party utility to do it sooner or later.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

As much as many would like that, I highly doubt that will be possible.

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I'm using to programming on Windows, so things may be very different in the Mac environment. But since OSX uses a signal call of some sort to enable the 330m, wouldn't it be feasible to code something to intercept this call and discard it?

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't think coding or programming to do so is the problem. With all things Apple, the main obstacle in truly customizing it is Apple grip (EFI?) on it's software - there's things that Apple blocks but you just can't break those. If it were possible, I would be glad. Perhaps something can be released with the MacBook Pro's with the 9400M and 9600M GT GPU's.

6. ADAADW thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks for the responses everyone, good to know. Im just wondering why wouldn't Apple even give you the option of choosing 1. integrated 2. discrete or 3. hand off? When i first started looking into it i thought it was strange because im sure there are others like me who would rather have the battery power over the performance (in some scenarios). Think that apple will include this in an update to the macbook pro firmware?

7. maximus06 macrumors regular

Hoping for this, too. Would be willing to pay. Such an obvious, common sense thing - to be able to only run on Intel HD when unplugged. Sigh.

8. splitpea macrumors 6502a

The new MBPs switch their graphics automatically, so if all you're doing is email and web browsing, it will disable the discrete graphics on its own and only use the integrated. Then when you're doing things that can use the extra GPU power (Photoshop, iPhoto...) it will enable the discrete GPU until you're done: but since you said you do those things rarely, it shouldn't often impact your battery life.

9. kayloh20 macrumors regular

Yes, but because it's kind of new, it's not as reliable. A lot of people can Photoshop fine with integrated graphics.

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Two graphics cards become just a novelty if you can't choose to switch between the two.

11. johnfilo macrumors newbie

Try this utility to swicth between Integrated and Discrete

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

"gfxCardStatus is a menu bar application that keeps track of which graphics card your unibody, dual-GPU MacBook Pro is using at any given time, and allows you to switch between them on demand."

12. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

was about to post just this.

just install and set to "Integrated Only".