Disabling Dock Mirror Effect?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eleven7, Apr 20, 2009.

1. eleven7 macrumors regular

I managed to make my dock invisible by deleting the appropriate png files from System/Library/CoreServices/Dock package and love the new look, but I still have one little problem.

While the dock might be invisible, when I have an app which takes up a large area of my screen which means the bottom sits close to the top of the dock,(e.g. Safari/iTunes) an ugly reflection is seen in the dock. (see left pic)

Is there anyway to disable this mirroring/reflection effect? At the moment I just resize the windows to sit further above the dock and decreased the dock size, but since screen space on a 13.3 Macbook is limited as it is, I would prefer to get rid of the mirror effect all together and go back to having my app windows sitting hard against the dock.

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can make it the 2D dock by typing this into Terminal ...

Code:
    $ defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock

Attached Files:

3. eleven7 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah thanks, that was my first stop, but it's not quite what I was after. I still want the 3D dock, I just don't want that mirroring effect if it's possible

4. eleven7 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, on second thoughts, you could be on to something there. Getting rid of the border on the 2D dock would be close enough to what I was trying to achieve. Will give it a go now :)

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't think it is possible to disable just the mirror effect. I'm pretty sure you have to go 2D.