disabling firewall

Discussion in 'macOS' started by abz1981, Jun 2, 2011.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hi

Other day I had to temporary disable my firewall for 5 mins or so for something. However I know this might be a stupid question. But I am always worried this may have affected my mbp in a negative way for me doing this. I dont know why, but i am paranoid at these things sometimes. MBP seems to be working fine. However how do you know if an unauthorised connection tried to connect to my MBP or something when firewall was off? Or should i stop worrying about it.

thanks in advance

2. peanuthead, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

peanuthead macrumors member

Did you forget to take your medicine today?

j/k...chill, relax...you're fine.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You are using a Mac, there is nothing to worry about, in any shape, manner, matter, or form. Even if you had any of the remote access setups turned on in the Sharing Preference Pane (like SSH, FTP, Remote Desktop, VNC, etc), someone who wanted to access your computer, they would have to know your IP address, and your router would have to be configured to redirect the access on specific ports to your computer's IP address inside the network.

TEG

4. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

My thoughts exactly, if you are behind a router, it has a firewall already blocking internet requests to all devices on your network. I still have mine on, and will until i have some sort of connection problem.