Disabling Front Row

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Jun 23, 2007.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

When I got my MacBook, after I did all the system updates, I disabled Front Row from the Activity Monitor (I haven't restarted it since then). I couldn't find any way to do this from the System Preferences though.

Is there an easier (and more permanent) way to disable Front Row?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Probably, but why? If you don't activate it (open with menu button or cmd/esc shortcut) FrontRow shouldn't use any CPU or memory.

I think it'll die if you delete /System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app

3. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yea, if you restart your computer, look in your activity monitor at the processes running, front row wont show. If you activate it, then look again at your processes, it'll be there.

So the best thing you could do is just not activate it.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I won't use Front row unless it is capable of playing Xvid files. As it is, it is quite useless.

5. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yea i mean, front row looks really cool but i think its main purpose is mostly if you end up hooking the computer up to a tv and surround system in order to just be able to sit back, and use the remote to access a movie, music or pics. Its not really usefull if your sitting right at the computer.

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Yeap. And it does not even support mounted DVD images, only actual DVDs. The irony? DVD Player does...

It is such a stupid piece of useless software it is not even funny.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

My grandad loves it for slideshows...and his music...his eyesight isn't great, and hopefully resolution independence will help :)

8. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I disagree, I use Front Row all the time. I put my computer on my table, get into bed, play a movie and put my computer (and myself) to sleep without having to get out of bed. I hook it up to my TV to watch movies as well.

9. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I have to say I like FrontRow too. I don't use it everyday, but it's awesome for parties and when you want to know the track that's playing without being right in front of the computer.

FrontRow 2 looks much better.

10. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I deleted the CoreServices file (I can't believe that didn't occur to me before:eek: ) so that should take care of it.

I understand the potential of Front Row to be useful; I would just never use it on this laptop. Basically, it takes up a small amount of RAM, and someone with a Front Row remote could potentially enable it from afar, causing me brief irritation.

Thanks for the advice.

11. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You could just disable the receiver (under security in sys. pref.), or pair it with you computer (play + menu close to the computer until a chain appears). Everything FrontRow does, is a compilation (iTunes + iPhoto + DVD player), so if you don't need it, delete it... random-ish, but isn't it funny how some MPs have FrontRow on them, but no way to access it.

12. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I hadn't heard this before. If a MacPro did have FrontRow installed couldn't it be activated by pressing Command+Esc?

13. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Haha oh. Well, if I ever decide I want to use Front Row, I guess I'll pair it with my remote.

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

15. yaroslavvb macrumors newbie

I deleted FrontRow.app from CoreServices directory and my TaskBar hung (dispayed Beach Ball whenever you mouse over the part with clock, volume, Finder). "Force Quit" application failed to start. I undeleted it, and it started working again.

The main issue with FrontRow is that I start it by accident sometimes when hitting Command+Esc...is there a way to just get rid of that shortcut?

16. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

x100000 on this. Why they purposefully cripple it to not work with DVD .iso images is beyond me. That's the *only* reason I need a piece of software like Front Row. To browse & play my .iso DVD images. :mad:

17. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dude, just get Perian and FrontRow will be able to play nearly any format.

18. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Nice try, but wrong. Perian does not do this. Care to guess again?

19. hilarleo macrumors newbie

Me Too: Someone Please Kill Front Row

Ever since my PBook 15" started using Leopard (with an additional Iomega 500G drive for 'Time Machine' use), my applications have been hanging up.
    So I've been using 'Force Quit' quite a lot. I seem to multiply my problems doing that though. The Option+Command+Escape shortcut keeps on starting up 'Front Row', about a dozen times a day now. Then it can take up to 2 minutes before I persuade 'Front Row' to drop out of the mess ...

(I've other unintended commands making the cursor jump across the screen and shift applications. But changing the keyboard/trackpad response rate has not addressed these problems. Also, the aluminum case is one of those which will shock the user if the transformer ['Power Supply'? Sorry, no, that term's misleading and an evil corporate misnomer for the white PVC transformer] is not fully grounded, and I begin to suspect this short's now influencing trackpad output. How insane is this?).

Anyway just for now I'm becoming emotional behind this pretentious "Front Row" business. Love to just lose the app, but I dont need the sorts of unending side effects I got when I removed a malf'ing Safari app.

20. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Same. Front Row is the reason I buy all my movies and TV shows on iTunes. I don't have a HD TV and don't really plan on buying one anytime soon. I have a 23" ACD that I use for watching HD shows on. Front Row was one of the biggest reasons I bought my MBP.

It's too bad that the Front Row bug hasn't been fixed yet. When you watch a show in Front Row, it's not shown in iTunes as being watched, only the blue dot shows that it was partially watched.

Anyways, what's up with the old thread resurrections?

21. drtyrell macrumors member

drtyrell

That's exactly what I needed! Thank you. interferes with my Apple TV.

22. pe0m macrumors newbie

Front Row -- rats

Apple is getting more like Microsoft. There are two many instances when my new Mac makes me do things its way, e.g., I can't easily put my cursor down where it belongs, and if I miss the desired location by one space the best recourse is to use the arrow keys.

I recently started getting unwanted visits from Front Row. I couldn't figure out how to make Front Row go away. I have ended up deleting Front Row.app -- but that did not help. It's still there. Somewhere there is another app file that has another name.

I deleted Front Row.app, and then I emptied trash, and when that did not work I turned off the computer, pulled the plug, and let the computer cool out for at least 30 seconds. Turn the computer back on, and the totally unwanted Front Row will come up again if I mash the wrong keys.

It should have been my choice whether I wanted this app in the first place.

23. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I wouldn't go so far to say Front Row is useless, however I do wish it had more features and preference options. For example, when watching certain videos that are rendered in 4:3, I would like to expand the image to achieve fullscreen (widescreen).

The ability to assign direct links in the menu would be nice. If I have media on an external drive, the only way to access this is add an alias to the movie folder. No big deal but...

As it stands now you can't assign front row to open only on a external monitor without affecting the primary monitor. If you do so it blacks out the primary...which is kind of lame.

Still some work to do :apple:.;)

24. 65kid macrumors newbie

Well, you could just use Plex, it can do all of those things.
    When you have used Plex for a while, you will realize that Front Row IS useless.

25. pe0m macrumors newbie

rats gone

I don't know what else I did, other than turning my Mac off over night, but the blasted Front Row seems to be gone at last.

Microsoft's operating system has a couple of good features. One of them is a dedicated "uninstall" process.