Disabling GPS on Apple Watch series 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aml216, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    anyone know if this is possible if you don't want it on?

2. bscheffel macrumors newbie

Im wondering exactly the same thing - i'd gladly trade GPS for extra battery power if you can disable it. Wonder if anyone who got to play with the Series 2 yesterday notices a setting in Watch OS 3 for disabling or at least controlling when GPS was active.

In fact if you cannot im actually tempted to go for a Series 1 to replace my current Apple Watch - i do want a faster chip to minimize the spinning but i need something else to make the extra thickness and $100 worth it. I already shower with my watch and don't swim. I have no use for GPS.

3. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I have a strong feeling that it is possible or it will be with an update shortly after release. I am willing to bet you could get an extra 20% (converted into usage time of course) if you turn it off.

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It is probably a non-issue. If the AWS2 behaves like every other GPS-enabled smart fitness watch on the market, the GPS is not turned on until you start a workout. So, the chip probably consumes no power until then; therefore there is nothing to disable. And, as with all other GPS-enabled smart fitness watches, there are also options to workout without GPS. Apple probably duplicated all of these behaviors in the AWS2.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Isn't this also exactly how their iPhones work?

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Pretty much. Location Services is a little more broad than just GPS, so it might return a location without activating the GPS chip. But, if an app starts that needs constant GPS positioning, then the phone probably turns the chip on full speed.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Disabled GPS in a Series 2 is called "Series 1" ;)

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Haha. Touche.

9. CVC macrumors member

My understanding is it will only use GPS if you start a workout that uses distance such as a run or walk AND there is no iPhone present.
    I am curious too if there will be increased battery life if you don't use the GPS or if the upgraded CPU and GPU are eating into it.

Edited to add Apple's tests: http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html All tests done while paired with a phone.

10. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

From the link, emphasis mine: