Disabling Headphone Jack Detection

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by nlrela, Sep 12, 2014.

1. nlrela macrumors newbie

As I have my MacBook Pro attached to a docking station there is normally a headphone jack inserted into the Macbook even though there is no headphone connected.

Unfortunately I can't change the audio output to the Thunderbolt monitor as the selection automatically changes back to the headphone port due to the "Headphone Jack Detection" feature.

Does anyone knows how to disable this headphone detection feature in Mavericks, so that I always can decide myself which output device to use (either Monitor or Headphone) ?

2. nlrela thread starter macrumors newbie

As I do understand it only describes a shorter way to change the settings within the preferences. The behavior is unfortunately exactly the same. After selecting the Monitor as output device it switches immediately back to "Headphones" as audio output device ....

3. chabig macrumors 68040

I can confirm that when a device is plugged into the audio port, you cannot play audio on the Thunderbolt Display. I never would have guessed that would be limiting.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You can change the Output/Input sound from the Finder sound icon. Just hold down the 'option' key while clicking on the sound volume icon and it will turn into an audio selector.

5. nlrela thread starter macrumors newbie

Which doesn't bring anything as long as something is connected ... you can not change anything

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

After reading this thread I decided to run a test for myself.
    I can verify that with headphones plugged into my mini I cannot select my HDMI monitor speakers, although I can select my external USB speakers which lucky for me are my first choice.
    Without the headphones plugged in I can select between the HDMI or USB speakers no problem.
    I had never noticed this before but it is good to know.
    You might have some luck with one of the many sound redirection Apps such as Airfoil Speakers etc.

7. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

Alt click the speaker icon in the Menu Bar, and select the output device. I don't think there is anyway of disabling the headphone detection thing.

8. jbarley, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Already asked and answered in posts #5 & 6