Disabling hidden startup processes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Grafdude@gmail., Aug 9, 2007.

1. Grafdude@gmail. macrumors newbie

When I look at the activity monitor, I have lots of processes and services that was installed with software, but they do not appear in the Accounts/Login items pane. So how do you disable them?

I want to do this because some of them chew up a lot of ram and some of them are draining the cpu.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If they're not in the Login Items panel, then check the StartupItems folder in your system's Library. :)

3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Like the mad man said check in the StartupItems folder BUT... keep in mind some/most of those things are needed by the OS. I would make sure you know EXACTLY what you are trying to quit before you do it.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, definitely don't quit anything if you don't know exactly what it does. Everything in the StartupItems folder can be removed though, since Apple's system startup processes are obviously kept elsewhere.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i really wouldnt worry about stopping hiden startup items. if they are hidden they are there for a reason, be it for system pourposes or whatnot.

depending on what software/trials you have installed and how old your mac is i doubt that you would have a lot of garbage starting up.