Disabling Local Time Machine Backups

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SayMilesAway, Nov 23, 2011.

1. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

I backup my mac with time machine to a external hard drive. I just used the terminal command to disable local backups. My questions is, this is exactly what it sounds like, just disables local, won't mess with my time machine back up to my external? Thanks.

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Stopping the local backups means that some amount of the automatic versioning ( saving different copies of a document that is being changed ) is disabled.

The time machine backups will continue to work ... it just prevents a bunch of interim backups to your internal disk being done between backups to the external disk.

You should however check periodically to make sure that your backups are really taking place.

3. SayMilesAway thread starter macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

i hooked up my external hdd and now i have a backup file in my trashcan that will take years to delete apparently. i guess this is from disabling local backups and then backing up on my external. I removed the time machine partition on my external and tried again but the files came back to the trash can. when i unmount the disk they disappear. seems I'm going to have to reformat my external to get rid of this grrr...

4. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Personally I turn off the time machine backups ( set preferences to OFF ) after I am done with a backup and turn it back on ( and select the correct disk partition ) before the next backup.

It is a fair amount of manual work to do it like this but it is the way I want to proceed. I also rotate in and back out disks periodically from my backup rotation.

I have 2 external USB disk caddies ( thermal take ) and 3 disks in the current setup. One system at work and the other at home.

You have to think about the setup that is workable and makes sense for you!

I never get a big backup file in my trashcan but just maybe for you this is from disable the local backups ( the leftover stuff that is now getting ditched ) instead of as a result of hooking backup the external drive.

5. SayMilesAway thread starter macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

Right, I shouldn't have messed with it. Only reason I did was in preparation of my SSD that will be coming in Monday. Just want to be able to have as much disk space free as possible.

6. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Mobile Backups are automatically deleted when you need the space for your files.

7. SayMilesAway thread starter macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

So they are just going to keep piling up until then?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I disabled the local backups on my MBP and I've not looked back. I need the space more then TM's ability to store backups on my local drive

9. Queen6, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It makes no odds, the system will surrender the space if required, just leave local backups on, might just "save your bacon one day" ;)

That after all that`s the point of it...

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

my question is if your disable them locally, how is there anything new to backup when you plug in your external drive?